Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Denied

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card Denied

@PowerInNumbers4 wrote:

TRC_WA  i see you have the delta card from Amex... my scores and story are similar to yours and i was wondering if you think you could have gotten the blue rewards card? or why you went with the delta card. did you get the delta card by the skin of your teeth or was it smooth sailing? i want the amex blue card and im going to chill in the garden for 6months to a year before apping. is the delta card easier to get or harder? is it a way to get my foot in the door with amex? i don't know much about the delta card.

Honestly, and you'll probably laugh... I went to Google and typed in "what is the easiest Amex to get?" and it brought up a thread from the myfico forums where pretty much everyone said Delta.

That's the reason I went with it... and I had no issues.  Instant approval for $5k with a 681 EX after gardening a year.

On the flip side though, I've also seen people say their charge cards are easier to get than their revolvers.  This card will be PIF every month regardless... no plans to carry a balance and from what I've read here that's what Amex loves.

Could I have gotten the Blue?  I don't know.  Probably?  I'm actually fine with the Delta.. I live in Seattle and fly them regularly when I go visit family and friends who are all on the east coast.  The card is very useful... and the 30k miles bonus too.

I'm using the card to get my foot in the door with Amex.  My plan is to do in 2015 what I did in 2014... and that is, garden for the year and evaluate my credit profile in late December.  I'm right where I want to be right now... new Sallie Mae, Discover and Amex.  No desire for anything else which makes gardening really easy.  My BK13 is set to fall off in April 2016... or sooner with early deletion.  Things are looking good.  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 15
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I just applied for, and was denied, Discover Chrome. Reason given-length of time of current Discover Card account.   I called the credit analyst number given and all she would tell me is that the length of time varies. I've had the Discover It for a year, received one auto-CLI and never asked for one, never late, and always made large payments.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took me almost a year to get this card! But mine was bc the timing of my bankruptcy discharge! When I was denied in September the analyst told me to wait 90 days so I waited almost 6 months and applied. I didn't get the greatest interest rate but like everyone said my foot is in the door and with a prime card! So I'd wait and give it a go again in 4-6 months or so!
Message 13 of 15
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

my discover never sees the light of day after havign to argue with them for proper rewards credits.. after being approved for discover i was approved for upromise which gives higher cash back than any spending i ever did with discover, ever through shop discover. discover is my lowest credit line 1500 and has cost me 3 hp's (1 on approval 2 more seperate for cli's). the idea of 3 hp's for a 1500 line is absurd....discover is the worst be glad you were denied

Message 14 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

my discover never sees the light of day after havign to argue with them for proper rewards credits.. after being approved for discover i was approved for upromise which gives higher cash back than any spending i ever did with discover, ever through shop discover. discover is my lowest credit line 1500 and has cost me 3 hp's (1 on approval 2 more seperate for cli's). the idea of 3 hp's for a 1500 line is absurd....discover is the worst be glad you were denied

I agree with you... I charged a big purchase to take advantage of the 0% promotion for 6 months.... I'll make steady payments and leave it at that.  Having also been approved for Amex and Sallie Mae at the same time they are the cards that will get 99.99% of my swipes...

Discover is my lowest limit and it's not a huge deal right now... I just want to build history with them... and now I'm good for 6 months of payments so they won't feel left out... LOL

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.