Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Denial Letter Finally Came In

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover Denial Letter Finally Came In

So I got my Discover denial letter in the mail yesterday, after my failed app on July 28th. They cited my EQ score at 690. The main reason for denial was: insufficient credit history. My AAoA is about 1.2 years and my oldest TL is about 2.6 years. Could that be why? I'm thinking it's more due to the fact that I just recently opened up the Chase Freedom and Barclays Rewards in the past couple of months (both in June) and they want more history with those. (Also got the Venture about a month ago, but that hasn't reported)

Side note: Reasons impacting my EQ score were listed as:
Length of time accounts have been established (again, assuming new accounts are hurting me)
Installment loan balances to limits too high (refinances my car with mom as a cosigner in May, so I've only made a couple of payments lol)
Too many delinquent accounts (only ONE from almost 3 years ago with a housing installment loan fiasco to a college I was going to attend but ended up not attending. Paid off and closed, but unfortunately still lingering).
Amount of revolving balance too high compared to limit (carrying a BT on Barclays Rewards at the moment, shot up to 83% util, however made a large payment recently and making another large payment in the next couple of weeks to bring it down to around 40-48% util)
Number of inquiries (no surprise there lol. Probably about 3-4 in the past few months)

Scores at time of app: 645 EX, 701 TU, 681 EQ
UTIL at time of app: 24%, 3 cards reporting at 0%, 2 other reporting small balances of <20%

Thoughts fellow members? Advice? I'd like to reapply in the future. I'm thinking in another 6-7 months (around end of January/end of February) I'll try again. But I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Denial Letter Finally Came In

Could be the AAOA and utilization mainly, the scores seem fine to me...IMO.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved with a 647 eq barely 3 years aaoa 30% util, 15 150 day lates from April-August 2014(they have been corrected to ok, error on their part) and that stupid 6 year old judgement. I'm guessing your util was the cause.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the things you mentioned together build on each other. It's not one thing,but the number of them together.  I'd work on them all as best you can and give it 12 months. There are a lot of negatives you listed that collectively might give them pause.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
So I got my Discover denial letter in the mail yesterday, after my failed app on July 28th. They cited my EQ score at 690. The main reason for denial was: insufficient credit history. My AAoA is about 1.2 years and my oldest TL is about 2.6 years. Could that be why? I'm thinking it's more due to the fact that I just recently opened up the Chase Freedom and Barclays Rewards in the past couple of months (both in June) and they want more history with those. (Also got the Venture about a month ago, but that hasn't reported)

Side note: Reasons impacting my EQ score were listed as:
Length of time accounts have been established (again, assuming new accounts are hurting me)
Installment loan balances to limits too high (refinances my car with mom as a cosigner in May, so I've only made a couple of payments lol)
Too many delinquent accounts (only ONE from almost 3 years ago with a housing installment loan fiasco to a college I was going to attend but ended up not attending. Paid off and closed, but unfortunately still lingering).
Amount of revolving balance too high compared to limit (carrying a BT on Barclays Rewards at the moment, shot up to 83% util, however made a large payment recently and making another large payment in the next couple of weeks to bring it down to around 40-48% util)
Number of inquiries (no surprise there lol. Probably about 3-4 in the past few months)

Scores at time of app: 645 EX, 701 TU, 681 EQ
UTIL at time of app: 24%, 3 cards reporting at 0%, 2 other reporting small balances of <20%

Thoughts fellow members? Advice? I'd like to reapply in the future. I'm thinking in another 6-7 months (around end of January/end of February) I'll try again. But I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Garden time! 

Message 5 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hadn't you already responded? Smiley Tongue

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 22
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All of the things you mentioned together build on each other. It's not one thing,but the number of them together.  I'd work on them all as best you can and give it 12 months. There are a lot of negatives you listed that collectively might give them pause.

+1. Bcuz of AAoA it makes the other issues mentioned that much more relavant, not singularly but combined. Good news... they can be easily resolved in short order if U commit to doing so. Good luck going forward.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Hadn't you already responded? Smiley Tongue

Me?

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

confused...

Could someone fill me in on what "gardening" means?

Message 9 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: confused...

Reason is = Discover is Bi-Polar on whom they approve.. You are well within their lending standards...  3 year old CO isn't the deal killer, but deffiently didn't help you..  Probably the CO that was paid is the main reason, but others have BK's(bk7 aka unpaid) and CO/CA's(unpaid) and get approved.. So you just got to live with it as they don't recon and if you want to apply again and waste another inquiry on a MEH card in 6 months then by all means apply again, otherwise go with another bank as Discover is flat out weird.

Yes I very much dislike them kinda like how KDM doesn't like Chase muchSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.