Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Hard Inquiry

I was planning to apply for a Discover card. So I went to the website, completed the application but never submitted. Like I said I never submitted the application and I close the browser.

A day later, someone called me and asked me about the application. I told her I was going to apply but I changed my mind. She was asking me if I want to apply.  I asked her, before I do, can you please tell me if I can provide my hotel address since I'll be staying here for a couple of months. She said we do not accept hotel address. I told her then all right, please cancel my application.

Today, I received FICO score from Discover. The did a hard inquiry, even though I never applied. Is that normal?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Hard Inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

I was planning to apply for a Discover card. So I went to the website, completed the application but never submitted. Like I said I never submitted the application and I close the browser.

A day later, someone called me and asked me about the application. I told her I was going to apply but I changed my mind. She was asking me if I want to apply.  I asked her, before I do, can you please tell me if I can provide my hotel address since I'll be staying here for a couple of months. She said we do not accept hotel address. I told her then all right, please cancel my application.

Today, I received FICO score from Discover. The did a hard inquiry, even though I never applied. Is that normal?

This is not normal. I think you can dispute it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, who shall I dispute it with?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, who shall I dispute it with?

Call Discover and the CRA that you took a hard pull

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how do I know if it was HP or a SP for sure?
Message 5 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So how do I know if it was HP or a SP for sure?

Did you get credit alert. Where did you get fico from discover then?  It's simple to find out.  You don't get notified for soft pull. 

Message 6 of 9
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

This happened to me with PenFed and they took it off within a week. 

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's odd, even for Discover.

Good luck on getting it removed, They should comply since the application was not fully processed. It's interesting though that they would have access to the application even though you did not submit it.

Message 8 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

contact discover and have them remove it. Shouldn't take you too much effort or time.

The only time a CRA will remove an inquiry is in the event of fraud. In other situations, they'll ask you to contact that lender directly.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.