cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT for mom - Not an immediate approval?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Discover IT for mom - Not an immediate approval?

EDIT: Approved- $4K limit. We're pleased with that! 

About a year and a half ago, I helped mom get back on track with her credit cards. She got some great cards, and has done really well.

Unfortunately, around that time, she had a mild heart attack, and incurred quite a lot of medical expenses. Hospital stays, lab work, surgery, etc. It all added up, and she was out of work for several months. Due to her decent savings, she stayed afloat, and ended up putting the medical expenses (~$15,000) on her Freedom, for the 0% intro APR. She's paid it down to $5,600. Unfortunately her 0% APR expireed, and she's now getting hit with $120 in interest every month. I told I would help her apply for Discover IT for the 21 month BT offer, and we did tonight. Her score are all between 740-760 right now, and I was expecting a good approval. 

What I got instead was a verification request for proof of address and proof of SSN. We immediately uploaded those during the application process. Is this pretty much an approval for mom? Any followup that she needs to do? Discover is supposed to email an applicaiton decision to her when all is said and done. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT for mom - Not an immediate approval?

If it stated (paraphrasing): we will notify you of our decision in 5-7 days etc..... I received that message as well. I initiated chat, and was approved in less than 5 mins. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

There's really not much else to do right now.  Just give it a couple of days for them to look things over and it should be an approval.

Just keep checking this for an update:

https://www.discovercard.com/application/checkStatus?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

If it stated (paraphrasing): we will notify you of our decision in 5-7 days etc..... I received that message as well. I initiated chat, and was approved in less than 5 mins. Good luck! 

I don't see a way to initiate chat without being a cardholder.

Message 4 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

There's really not much else to do right now.  Just give it a couple of days for them to look things over and it should be an approval.

Just keep checking this for an update:

https://www.discovercard.com/application/checkStatus?execution=e1s1

Got the link to work, but it's asking for proof of addess and SSN again - I'll check it again tomorrow.

Message 5 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

They're not always the fastest when it comes to non-automated things.  I can hit the CLI button on a Wed and see the increased limit online by Fri morning and not even see the e-mail from them until Mon or Tues.  It's a bit of a patience game when it comes to anything manual with Disco.  

Message 6 of 8
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

About a year and a half ago, I helped mom get back on track with her credit cards. She got some great cards, and has done really well.

Unfortunately, around that time, she had a mild heart attack, and incurred quite a lot of medical expenses. Hospital stays, lab work, surgery, etc. It all added up, and she was out of work for several months. Due to her decent savings, she stayed afloat, and ended up putting the medical expenses (~$15,000) on her Freedom, for the 0% intro APR. She's paid it down to $5,600. Unfortunately her 0% APR expireed, and she's now getting hit with $120 in interest every month. I told I would help her apply for Discover IT for the 21 month BT offer, and we did tonight. Her score are all between 740-760 right now, and I was expecting a good approval. 

What I got instead was a verification request for proof of address and proof of SSN. We immediately uploaded those during the application process. Is this pretty much an approval for mom? Any followup that she needs to do? Discover is supposed to email an applicaiton decision to her when all is said and done. 

When I applied for Disvover IT Miles card a couple weeks ago, I was asked to upload proof address and SSN as well. I actually recieved a call from Diiscover to verify and they text me code and voila, was approved. Or you can also check the status of the app online. I googled "discover application status" to get the link. Good Luck!

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 7 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

EDIT: Approved- $4K limit. We're pleased with that! 

Congrats on your's and mom's approvals!   screamer.gif

New thread in 'Credit Card Approvals':  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Unexpected-and-unplanned-Discover-IT-approval-...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.