Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT stuck at $500 CL

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Discover IT stuck at $500 CL

I have had my Discover IT card since December 2015 and have had the same $500 credit limit the whole time. I used it frequently and would leave a balance sometimes adn pay it off sometimes for 6 months but after 6 months they wouldn't budge on a CLI. I stopped using that card and used my Barclay arrival and now Southwest but I wanted to take advantage of the 5% bonus catagory for the next 3 months but I went to ask for a CLI and it wants to pull my credit report and I don't want the hard pull, is there any way around this? and with my luck it would be a HP and denied CLI lol 

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT stuck at $500 CL

@mattayy wrote:

I have had my Discover IT card since December 2015 and have had the same $500 credit limit the whole time. I used it frequently and would leave a balance sometimes adn pay it off sometimes for 6 months but after 6 months they wouldn't budge on a CLI. I stopped using that card and used my Barclay arrival and now Southwest but I wanted to take advantage of the 5% bonus catagory for the next 3 months but I went to ask for a CLI and it wants to pull my credit report and I don't want the hard pull, is there any way around this? and with my luck it would be a HP and denied CLI lol 

You mean 3 months (January,February, March)? A $500 limit means that your approval was borderline. I was in the same situation and my CL did not grow until the 1 year year mark. Please understand that unless you give it time and whatever Discover did not like about your profile changes, they will not increase it.

Message 2 of 11
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

December 2015??? It's only been 3 months, Discover is known to typically not give any CLI for the first 90 days, after that they review your account periodically for increases. I'd suggest you either wait a few more months then try online for a CLI or call a CSR and let him/her know you want a SP only.
Message 3 of 11
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Woops sorry guys December 2014*****

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 4 of 11
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

My credit scores now are between 50-70 points higher than when I had applied for the card 

Message 5 of 11
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

My credit scores now are between 50-70 points higher than when I had applied for the card 

Scores are not everything though. They take a look at the whole picture (scores, income, inquiries, AAoA, new accounts, utilization, derogs, etc). There must be something in your reports that they are not liking. My Discover was opened in October 2014 and has grown to $4.8k, but I have not applied for anything else in months and BK fell off my reports.

Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mattayy wrote:

Right, and as mentioned above, scores are one of several factors considered for potential CLIs reviews.  It appears you barely squeezed through the door with that SL though.  Otherwise, all things considered, they would've approved for a higher CL from the get-go.  So, I guess the question begs, what's holding back your profile?

Message 7 of 11
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Hmm I really don't know what the problem is...are they inquiry sensitive?

Message 8 of 11
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

don't know about for CLI's but for new accounts I routinely get denied strickly for "inquiries within the last 3 months" & "inquiries in the last 6 months"

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 9 of 11
freedom2
Valued Member

Good morning.   My Discover It was approvedabout 10 months.  My starting CL was $800.  In December, it was auto-increased to $1,000.  Last week, when paying my card on-line, I requested another increase and it was approved for an additional $500., bringing my CL now to $1500.  For me personally, they are stingy with the CLIs.  On the same day my Discover It card was approved, I had also applied for and was approved for Barclay card for $1,000 starting limit.  About 6 months after having the card, I called and asked if they could lower my APR and increase my credit line.  They lowered my APR by 1% but it was a no-go on a CLI.  In late January, before leaving on a cruise, I had paid my Barclay card online and was throlled to see they had increased my CL by $2000 and now my CL stands at $3,000.

My point in compating the two is to simply say that credit card companies and their banks are finicky.  I've had major success with my Cap 1 Quicksilver, which has increased over $5,000 in the same time period.  My CL with my Quicksilver is now at $9,000.  They have been much more CLI - friendly than any card I have.  So do not be discouraged.  Try again in another 90 days.  It will grow, albeit not as quickly as you woul like.  As I said, Discover It has been the most stingy with CLIs than any other card I own.  Good luck.

PS -- My scores are similar to yours.  673, 679, 688.

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 654
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.