Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It CC Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It CC Application

Hey guys here is my situation:

So I received a CC invitation from Discovery today for a card and I have until January 31 to take it, so I was planning on revamping my credit score before applying to try and get the maximum credit limit possible if approved of course. According to the free FICO score in Barclayscard, my TU (?) score is 680. I can't buy any of the myfico products since I have less that 3 years CH (that's what the rep told me). I'm 23 and I earn around 30k a year and I pay no rent and have no major expenses other than paying my car ($411/month) and credit cards. I just started financing my car and my first payment is January 6.

My current utilization was 1700 out of my possible 2000 credit limit for my 3 cards. (I've only had a one year 3 month credit history).

Right now I will pay the full balance of my Bank of America card (that usually reports to bureaus around the 28 of each month so that one will report a $0 balance). I will also pay the full balance of my Capital One that usually reports around the 8-9 of each month so it will also report $0. Before January 15, I will pay the full balance except maybe for 1% of my Barclayscard that usually reports around the 15-16 of each month, so it will also report $0. I won't use my credit cards before applying, which I plan to do around January 25 to try and maximize my chances (first two cards will report $0 and the third one will report $20).

Am I in the right path? What other tips can I get? I really want to get this card because I need to make larger tuition payments until September. Thank you in advanced!

PS: Do these Discover It invitations have a defined "pre approved" credit limit or how does it work?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover It CC Application

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys here is my situation:

So I received a CC invitation from Discovery today for a card and I have until January 31 to take it, so I was planning on revamping my credit score before applying to try and get the maximum credit limit possible if approved of course. According to the free FICO score in Barclayscard, my TU (?) score is 680. I can't buy any of the myfico products since I have less that 3 years CH (that's what the rep told me). I'm 23 and I earn around 30k a year and I pay no rent and have no major expenses other than paying my car ($411/month) and credit cards. I just started financing my car and my first payment is January 6.

My current utilization was 1700 out of my possible 2000 credit limit for my 3 cards. (I've only had a one year 3 month credit history).

Right now I will pay the full balance of my Bank of America card (that usually reports to bureaus around the 28 of each month so that one will report a $0 balance). I will also pay the full balance of my Capital One that usually reports around the 8-9 of each month so it will also report $0. Before January 15, I will pay the full balance except maybe for 1% of my Barclayscard that usually reports around the 15-16 of each month, so it will also report $0. I won't use my credit cards before applying, which I plan to do around January 25 to try and maximize my chances (first two cards will report $0 and the third one will report $20).

Am I in the right path? What other tips can I get? I really want to get this card because I need to make larger tuition payments until September. Thank you in advanced!

PS: Do these Discover It invitations have a defined "pre approved" credit limit or how does it work?

You're on the right track. If you don't have any baddies, you'll get a 30-40 points boost (I got similar) by paying off all but 1 card and having less than 10% utilization on that one card. You'll have a good chance !

Message 2 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well discover rarely pulls tu for application. Only for Cli's. Mostly they pull Equifax. In any case. You should be ok if you pay your balance down. Of course you can buy fico scores. Even with 6 months history. Your age does not matter.  Whoever told you that bs should be fired. Just sign up with your card online. Better to know where you actually stand score wise before apping. Where ever you live go to who pulled my credit. Type in discover and your state. You will know who they pull and average score approval. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies. I have a few inquiries but that's about it, no late payments, no baddies.

I bought the credit score for all 3 bureaus and then I couldn't access my product online. I called the rep and she said that without having at least 3 years with a credit history I wouldn't be able to purchase it, and they reimbursed me. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

First I would check if the invitation has a specific APR . Discover send invitations to everyone . They'v been sending me the regular 10.99%-22.99% APR for month but i just got a legit offer from them with a 16% APR this week . Even if its not a targeted offer You should be good to go . 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ll discover rarely pulls tu for application. Only for Cli's. Mostly they pull Equifax. In any case. You should be ok if you pay your balance down. Of course you can buy fico scores. Even with 6 months history. Your age does not matter. Whoever told you that bs should be fired. Just sign up with your card online. Better to know where you actually stand score wise before apping. Where ever you live go to who pulled my credit. Type in discover and your state. You will know who they pull and average score approval. Good luck.

---

Interesting. Discover ONLY pulled TU for my app, no pulls anywhere else. I think it's a little more geographic than anything else.
Message 6 of 11
Newstart122014
New Contributor

I app'ed 12/24/14 I live in the Southeast Region, Discover pulled, and approved me with TU (only...so far)! 

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

I live in SC and they pulled EQ. I applied for the regular IT right after getting a letter for the student IT and was instantly approved.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

First I would check if the invitation has a specific APR . Discover send invitations to everyone . They'v been sending me the regular 10.99%-22.99% APR for month but i just got a legit offer from them with a 16% APR this week . Even if its not a targeted offer You should be good to go . 

I got the 10.99% APR offer. That should be the same one in the offer code right? or do they just say that to try and get you?

And for you guys that recently got approved, what CL did you get?

Message 9 of 11
Newstart122014
New Contributor

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.