Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Denial- I Am Devastated!

tag
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Discover It Denial- I Am Devastated!

I don't know what it is about my credit profile but Discover wants nothing to do with me!

I have applied in the past when my score was "in the pits" and was denied (of course, my score was terrible) but I have a good credit score now (upper 600s), a great income (over 100K), and they still will not approve me. 

I was approved for an AMEX on March 1st (which is no easy fate) and this was the last card I wanted in my card portfolio. 

I guess its to the garden I go with a hung head and a heavy heart. Smiley Sad

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
59 REPLIES 59
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover It Denial- I Am Devastated!

@kidink1911 wrote:

I don't know what it is about my credit profile but Discover wants nothing to do with me!

I have applied in the past when my score was "in the pits" and was denied (of course, my score was terrible) but I have a good credit score now (upper 600s), a great income (over 100K), and they still will not approve me. 

I was approved for an AMEX on March 1st (which is no easy fate) and this was the last card I wanted in my card portfolio. 

I guess its to the garden I go with a hung head and a heavy heart. Smiley Sad

There's something they don't like, and it's probably in your EQ report. What's your utliztion look like? How many inqs. on your EQ in the last 6 months? Any baddies? 

Discover isn't as easy to get as some people think. It took me two years to app for them because I refused to get stuck with the secured card. Once my EQ score was over 700, I bit the bullet. 

Message 2 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, kidink1911, don't hang your head. Discover can be funny, and sometimes it can take a while. Sometimes a long while. I would expect AverageJoesCredit to show up here and let you know just how long it can take straight from the horse's mouth. (Seriously, who ever came up with that expression and why? But I digress.)  Don't lose heart! It will happen! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 60
kidink1911
Established Contributor

I went on an app spree in December 2016 and got 3 cards, then got 2 cards in January 2017, and then AMEX on March 1st. 

So it may be my AAOA and recent inquiries....just so bummed by it.

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 4 of 60
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

There's no silver bullet with Disco and approvals.  High scores, high income, great job, etc. don't make the decision for an approval.  Most of us around here that are Disco holders took many stabs at the beast before getting in the front door.  The average around here is about 3-5 attempts before being accepted to the family.  It's not like Cap1 where if you have a pulse they hand you 30K CL's.  They're not NFCU where you join an affiliation and open a $500 CL that jumps to $15K in 3 months when nothing has changed to substantiate the inflated ego.  Disco is challenging in comparison to other lenders that get hyped up around here.  For some they're the Zions/Iberia challenge to get a foot in the door.  The conclusion around here is they like squeaky clean thin files or thick files that have recovered long enough to present as clean.  Everything in the middle seems to be subject to more scrutiny.  

Just make a mental note to give them a shot again when you're over 700 and triple check your reports for anything that can stand out.  With Disco it's not about score, it's about your overall appearance when they're looking to make a match.

Message 5 of 60
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Thanks so much DeeBee78, Bella007, and austinguy907!!

I just have to dust myself off, note that this is not the end of the world, and if I stay the course and continue on improving my credit profile I WILL one day achieve the unattainable attainable Discover card!

Message 6 of 60
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your disco denial OP. Don't worry you'll soon get in with them as soon as your new accts age and inq in last 6 months disappear.
I think Disco is like the guy in "Split". Depends on which personality you get when apping.
They let me back in in 05/2015 after I burned them on a bk dc'd 4 yrs prior.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 60
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Thanks!! You're right JR_TX!!

Just got to wait it out, accounts age, and then come back!!

Message 8 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

There's no silver bullet with Disco and approvals.  High scores, high income, great job, etc. don't make the decision for an approval.  Most of us around here that are Disco holders took many stabs at the beast before getting in the front door.  The average around here is about 3-5 attempts before being accepted to the family.  It's not like Cap1 where if you have a pulse they hand you 30K CL's.  They're not NFCU where you join an affiliation and open a $500 CL that jumps to $15K in 3 months when nothing has changed to substantiate the inflated ego.  Disco is challenging in comparison to other lenders that get hyped up around here.  For some they're the Zions/Iberia challenge to get a foot in the door.  The conclusion around here is they like squeaky clean thin files or thick files that have recovered long enough to present as clean.  Everything in the middle seems to be subject to more scrutiny.  

Just make a mental note to give them a shot again when you're over 700 and triple check your reports for anything that can stand out.  With Disco it's not about score, it's about your overall appearance when they're looking to make a match.

@austinguy907 probably one of the best overall explanations of Disco's schizophrenia that I've read. To pile on, 3rd time was the charm for me, but I was a bad boy when I was in my very ealry 20's charged off a Discover Plat and Discover Gold both well over $3,000 each (after I stopped working there at least). Applied in Feb 2014, denied, Mar 2015, denied, May 2016 -> Approved...but there was a lot of clean up on my CRA's that went into the May approval.

Message 9 of 60
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

It took me 4 tries.

2 times I was able to talk to a live body and get the 20 question treatment,. 

Second time of that finally worked.

Don't give up, but give it at least another 6 months Smiley Wink

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.