Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Personalized Offer

tag
2014repair
New Contributor

Discover Personalized Offer

I know it has been said here numerous times, but I do have a question on the personalized offers from Discover.  It has been said that if the offer gives a specific APR you should be good but if you get an the full APR range it is a generic offer to apply.  When I fill it out and the mailers I get, I have an APR range, but it is 12.99 - 15.99, not the full range of APR's that they offer.  

How should I read this?

/i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o572/2014repair/Best-Buy-Credit-Card_zps7jz6jb0m.png">
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Personalized Offer

@2014repair wrote:

I know it has been said here numerous times, but I do have a question on the personalized offers from Discover.  It has been said that if the offer gives a specific APR you should be good but if you get an the full APR range it is a generic offer to apply.  When I fill it out and the mailers I get, I have an APR range, but it is 12.99 - 15.99, not the full range of APR's that they offer.  

How should I read this?

That's generic, how's your credit file and score?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 11
2014repair
New Contributor

Scores are EQ 681, TU 658, and EX 688.

I do have 3 chargoffs on my report from 2009 and some late payments from that same time frame.  I have around 12 inquiries on each of them.  I have an auto loan from 3/2013 and a new mortgage from 6/2014.

Current cards:

Cap1 Secured $0bal/$650CL opened 3/2014

Cap1 Quicksilver $1,400bal/$5,000CL opened 10/2014

Citi Simplicity $0bal/$4,800CL opened 10/2014

Home Depot/Citi $800bal/$4,100CL opened 9/2014

AAoA is showing as 6yr8months on EX and EQ but as 7months on TU.

/i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o572/2014repair/Best-Buy-Credit-Card_zps7jz6jb0m.png">
Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Not as generic as the broad offer, that is more drilled down..  I think it is 12.99-22.99 for the real generic one or something around there?

If you want to see the real generic offer put Charlie Brown and 1234 as SSN and you will see the normal offer.

Message 4 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

They pulled EQ for me and I don't know if 12 inquires will be too much from them. Kind of hit or miss I woud say with them. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 11
djshifted
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Not as generic as the broad offer, that is more drilled down..  I think it is 12.99-22.99 for the real generic one or something around there?

If you want to see the real generic offer put Charlie Brown and 1234 as SSN and you will see the normal offer.

Mine showed 10.99% - 22.99%, so I imagine that's the generalized invitation to apply.  

Starting Scores (12/2012):EX 506; EQ 511; TU 518 | Current Scores (01/2016):EX 662; EQ 656; TU 653
Message 6 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I never get any preapproval things when I go the any website. As long as you know your score is good enoughand nothing bad on your file then most of the time you'll be approved.

Message 7 of 11
djshifted
Regular Contributor

Unfortuantely I have a little over 3 years until all the baddies fall off, at which point I plan on getting a house.  The only preapproval I've received is from CapOne, but I rejected it after finding out it was a $300 CL.  They're still sending me offers, though, haha.

Starting Scores (12/2012):EX 506; EQ 511; TU 518 | Current Scores (01/2016):EX 662; EQ 656; TU 653
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved today and given an apr range for my personalized offer.

Message 9 of 11
2014repair
New Contributor

I am tempted to just apply, but think I may stay in the garden and wait a few months.  I don't really need the credit and with having 3 new cards since september I'm thinking I may get a better rate and a higher SL if I hold off for a few months yet.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.