Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it Declined

I decieded to apply for the discover it cashback card since you recieve a $75 statement credit with amazon. I already have a discover it student card but i decided to apply anyways because i could really use the $75 statement credit. I was denied and i called recon, I called about 3 times! the first rep told me i was denied because of my most recent discover card (student card opened in june of 2016, Time of call Feb. 16 2017) Then he changed the reason saying that it was because i did not use my student card as much resulting in little history of use which i disagree. The next two reps said the same thing that it was because of my student card stating that it was recently open and that they like to see a little more history. The last rep said that he could only help by resubmitting another application over the phone to see if i get approved which i thought was ridiculous because i did not want to recieve another hard pull to be most likely denied. Discover pulled my transunion report and my credit score was 752. I'm a little bummed out but oh well.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover it Declined

Chasing things for the wrong reasons.

$75 credit isn't worth an application for a new card. 

Disco usually requires at least 12 months of history before they'll consider a 2nd card.

Student card would indicate you're in school / lower annual income if FT student.

While your score is nice at 752 it's not the only thing they're looking at when considering your application.  The start of it looking for an Amazon credit is like walking into the grocery store and applying for their card for a $10 off coupon and taking a hit on your reports and getting a dismal low limit approval.  The reasons they've given you might be similar to what I'm stating above.  Submitting a new app isn't usually their response when there's an issue on the previous one.  

Take some time to sit down and come up with a plan for financial fitness before diving into an app and getting rejected.  Finding a real use for a card before getting it is a good idea.  Gimmicks to get you to apply have to be seen through before pulling the trigger.  Ask some questions here before apping. Read some threads to get a snapshot before going for the bait.  If you find something you like, you put in the time to research it, and still want it you should wait at least a week longer before actually applying in case you think of something else to look up about it.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the time Discover requires 1 full year between applications.

Also, income is a big factor considering you're a student I'm assuming you have a lower income than most applicants.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good information given. Take your time and try again after good use of your card and enough time has passed.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's unfortunate that you were declined.  I find Discover to not be worth the effort for me but others seem to like them.  When you talk to agents they have the list of factors on their screen that you end up getting in the denial letter, those lists almost always include multiple factors so its not surprising that you are getting several answers.  Going forward I would post your application strategy in advance with all of the relevent details because folks here provide great guidance of when to apply and when to hold off. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In fairness, blasting these 'just doing their, gig...til 5 o'clockers' is generally a waste of time

Yours and theirs, for the most part that poor schmuck is just SUPPOSING based upon their total freaking guesses...

I feel kinda sorry ( and frustrated) for these 1st liners who don't really know ish from poo poo...their job is to appease callers and get through their SHIFT, period!

*Of course, the few times when a recon is within the purview of a CSR, the issue may be different but in the vast majority the time....
It's the same thing as asking a grocery clerk WHY the fruit you bought wasn't 'sweet' enough...a total waste of time, basically asking for an answer that will never satisfy, no matter what.

Illustrated exactly when the OP said they said the card was young with not enough usage ....Of course the OP claps back 'I disagree'😇

Of course, you disagree because you don't 'like' the outcome...The same way I'm not thrilled when the strawberries don't quite taste as good as they looked
But hey it's fruit...And like apping it is what it is.

Folks, get to the point where they don't think it's OK to be perfectly fine and have a lender pass, on you...They have the right to just say NO

You might feel you were handsome enough, funny enough, charming enough but she might still say , no
And generally give a vague non satisfactory 'reason'... Bottom line it's a no
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.