Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover unOfficial Data Points

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover unOfficial Data Points

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Well im officially out of the Discover game. Looks like i got bracketed and just didnt see any more growth with them. Cancelled and just waiting on my 1st year double cash back. Its been fun and wish all you other Discolites the very best on growing or getting your cards.

Glad to hear you cancelled.. For some reason some of us get put in the Discover crappy bucket for having good credit lol.  While other with less than ideal credit get huge limits and CLI's like candy.  IT was in same bucket thus cancelled after 18 months approx.. Have the dumb miles card at the best APR at a 3250 CL started at 1k sigh..  If it isnt at 5k by one year it will be gone as well.  Don't have time for toy limits.

Message 1251 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Well im officially out of the Discover game. Looks like i got bracketed and just didnt see any more growth with them. Cancelled and just waiting on my 1st year double cash back. Its been fun and wish all you other Discolites the very best on growing or getting your cards.

Surprised you cancelled since the 5% rotating categories at times can best other cards for the came category spend?

Message 1252 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AJC and @Creditcuriousity... I just hit 7 months on my secured card, no grad yet. But at the rate everything else is going discover is slowly getting left in the background. I still have the lower score.. Where's my graduation with a huge limit increase lol
Message 1253 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jago, if your statement just cut today, give it a day or two they may unsecured it.

I think discover unsecured card if fico score 650 and up

Message 1254 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous only up to 1500 a quarter.  For some that is good for other that can be hit in a few days such as say Amazon.  Amazon Store card or Chase card has no limits.  Just picking on that as those are 5% cat for Discover this month and can be hit in a single purchase by many.  Food is another quarter that can easily by maxed in a month and cards such as uber at 4% has no cap and no AF, would do a CSR compare, but it has an AF, etc..  You get where I am getting to.. Really Discover is only good for the 5% up to 1500 or BT offer if you have a good enough CL otherwise a meh card.  the BT offers can be beat by most CU's as well and stated in many other posts.   

I understand some people love discover and discover loves them then others such as myself or AJC don't care for discover and they show us the same non-love back.  For whatever reason the like some and not others.  Pretty much that simple and no one can put a finger on what they "look" for other then alot of speculation with data points that seem to make zero sense.

Message 1255 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear what you're saying, I just personally wouldn't close the card.  I'm not a Discover fan by any stretch of the imagination and barely use their card (maybe $100-$200 a month).  I have a Chase Amazon that I use for all of my Amazon purchases.  There are quarters however where Discover does come in handy and can offer the best CB depending on category, so I personally wouldn't ever close it.  The same way I'd never close a Chase Freedom for the same reason.  I get it that the decision to close a card many times can be emotional (at least in part) but it never does any harm keeping a card open, assuming no AF or anything similar.  That's just my opinion and completely understand those that don't share it though.

Message 1256 of 1,821
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This holiday season, I am doing almost all of my shopping at Amazon. My Discover is in year one, so I get 10% back on the already super Amazon prices and free shipping with Prime. How in the world can anything beat that? The fact that it is limited to $1500 will keep me from spending too much on gifts, so that is really a good thing.

Message 1257 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kilroy8 wrote:

This holiday season, I am doing almost all of my shopping at Amazon. My Discover is in year one, so I get 10% back on the already super Amazon prices and free shipping with Prime. How in the world can anything beat that? The fact that it is limited to $1500 will keep me from spending too much on gifts, so that is really a good thing.

no one can beat year one of double CB persay.  Although discover doesn't do sign-up bonsues persay unless you might consider 75 a sign-up bonus through amazon although pretty weak still.  As stated discover works great for some and not so great for other.  I won't argue year one is pretty good after year one a meh card for myself personally.  Where-as another card can say give you a 500 sign-up bonus for spending say 3k and that is hard to beat as well.

Message 1258 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woot! Third month straight with a CLI. Now at $6.7k with Discover. So far increases of $1,450 and two increases of $1.5k. Think I'll stop if they give me another increase next month. Don't need that much credit with them. But it's nice to grow my oldest open credit line these past three months.

Message 1259 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Kamina! 

I received my increase this month too, making my CL 13k. I’m surprised honestly that I received it this month. Next month will be 1 year with Discover. 

Message 1260 of 1,821
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.