cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for a Discover It ? or Amex ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I qualify for a Discover It ? or Amex ?

Hello , This is my first time posting here . My partner seems to get all the answeres from here so I thought I'd try it myself . My only credit card is a capital one quicksilver with a $1000 limit , Iv had it for 7 months now . Is that enough history to apply for a discover it  and or Amex ? I want the Discover It card because Im an assistant manager at Sam's club and we only accept Discover . My fico scores are all above 760 according to this site . 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I qualify for a Discover It ? or Amex ?

Im hardly an expert in these matters but I think you'll have no problem with either. Good luck!
Message 2 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Scores aren't everything to getting approved, how's your overall picture?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello , This is my first time posting here . My partner seems to get all the answeres from here so I thought I'd try it myself . My only credit card is a capital one quicksilver with a $1000 limit , Iv had it for 7 months now . Is that enough history to apply for a discover it  and or Amex ? I want the Discover It card because Im an assistant manager at Sam's club and we only accept Discover . My fico scores are all above 760 according to this site . 

Discover loves when you are new to credit. 7 months would be just fine. just go for it. that are not as hard as most think. i got in a few months ago. and my equifax which they mostly pull . was about 690 or so. i only have 5 months AA of A at the  time. so you will be ok.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 credit card with about 7 months of history , no collections , no lates and 2 inquiries  . I only use about 5 percent of my credit lmit every month .

Message 5 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You should be a shoe in for both cards.. They both love thin profiles without baddies... Which you have both of..  I think you are golden for discover and amex

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am pretty sure 99.99% u will get discover but the credit line they are known for stingy at start. you might end up with $500 or so but they do increased in few months (anywhere between 3-6). you will probably get Amex everyday card but i am more sure about discover. Hope this help! goodluck and let us know which one you go ok?

Message 7 of 11
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

interesting to know that amex likes thin file.. i probably should have applied long time ago...

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thin files they like with good scores and no baddies vs thick files with some baddies.  Amex and Discover both love people new to credit and usually will give good lines hoping to make them there "main" goto card.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help . I just need to women up and do it . 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.