Did you mean: 

Do you ever stop asking for CLI?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Do you ever stop asking for CLI?

@Open123 wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

For those of you that have reached your score goals, limit goals etc...do you keep trying to get limit increases just for the hell of it?

These days, I only request for a CLI if an existing one isn't sufficient for how I plan to use the card.  Matter of fact, there are many cards I app'ed for purely for the benefits or bonus, and have requested CLDs to $5K, or even $2.5K.

+1. Up to a certain point, too much credit limit can be a bad thing. Other banks may just start closing accounts when they feel that you have too much credit limit for your income level. Having high CLs can also be a detriment when applying for new accounts because that lender may feel that you already have enough credit and don't see the point in issuing you more. 

However if you are not at that stage and it's a SP CLI, then might as well ask for it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 35
noobody
Established Contributor

I trim my cash+ from 16k to 10k, BCE from 20k to 2k, arrived+ from 18k to 10k to reduce overall exposure with lender, thus better new card approval odds. With most reward cards are capped, no need get crazy CL
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 12 of 35
Open123
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:
I trim my cash+ from 16k to 10k, BCE from 20k to 2k, arrived+ from 18k to 10k to reduce overall exposure with lender, thus better new card approval odds. With most reward cards are capped, no need get crazy CL

Likewise, for cards with 5% caps, such as Discover, Freedom, Cash +, I've CLD'ed them to $5K, since I can see no reason to spend above $1,500 and/or $2,000 respectively.

Message 13 of 35
dilettante
Established Contributor

I've only requested CLI's twice and they were on store cards (Neiman Marcus and Saks) that gave very low starting CL's - can't really go on a holiday shopping spree with 2k or 4k limits at their stores.  Of course several years ago, I didn't even know you could ask for CLI's.  

I usually only like limits on cards enough to quickly cover the spend for a sign up bonus or if I have a specific large purchase charge I want to put on that card. My Diners card was approved for 50k and I don't need that much a month to cover the bonus categories since I don't MS and there wasn't a bonus/spend requirement, so I will probably CLD it.  

Message 14 of 35
HiLine
Blogger

I've been there, and I stopped. I do not want to have so much credit limit that banks refuse my future credit applications. In fact, I stopped caring about credit once I reached most of my credit goals. The only thing left is getting an 800 FICO, which is going to happen pretty much naturally. It feels good to have one aspect of your life already taken care of; I don't want to put any more thought or care into this credit thing.
Message 15 of 35
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I stopped a long time ago and picked up the hobby of living within my means.

Message 16 of 35
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I have not asked for one in three years. I have all the credit i need.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 17 of 35
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Was thinking today.....maybe its time to stop aksing for CLI.

Through the knowledge I have atttained mostly on these boards I have a managed to increse my limits from $5K to over $220K in less than 2 years and now my average staring limit on new apps seesm to come in at around $15K.

I have far more credit than I need at this point and my utilization will now pobably never go over 9% so I dont need any more utilization buffers.

Despite not needing any more credit I still request increases every couple of months depending on the issuer and its been a long time since I got a denial on a CLI request.

For those of you that have reached your score goals, limit goals etc...do you keep trying to get limit increases just for the hell of it?

I'm not the target responder for this question (I haven't reached my goal scores etc.) but I think there should be a sweet spot. Lenders may get uncomfortable if my CL is too high compared to my income (possible risky exposure). I personally want all my cards to reach 5 digits without HP and then stop there and wait for auto-CLIs if banks give them, and not bother if they don't. 

To add, some of us don't want even 5 digit cards,  I want 5 to 6 cards, and my utilization would never need that kind of buffer.  Several 3k to 5k cards will do me just fine (so I won't be going for 3x Amex, though 6k to get other cards higher cl's would be nice,

Signature needs updating
Message 18 of 35
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@IWOL wrote:

Was thinking today.....maybe its time to stop aksing for CLI.

Through the knowledge I have atttained mostly on these boards I have a managed to increse my limits from $5K to over $220K in less than 2 years and now my average staring limit on new apps seesm to come in at around $15K.

I have far more credit than I need at this point and my utilization will now pobably never go over 9% so I dont need any more utilization buffers.

Despite not needing any more credit I still request increases every couple of months depending on the issuer and its been a long time since I got a denial on a CLI request.

I thnk about it every once in awhile but I figure I have just about enough in CL's. That's not to say I'll never seek another one though.  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

I've only requested CLI's twice and they were on store cards (Neiman Marcus and Saks) that gave very low starting CL's - can't really go on a holiday shopping spree with 2k or 4k limits at their stores.  Of course several years ago, I didn't even know you could ask for CLI's.  

I usually only like limits on cards enough to quickly cover the spend for a sign up bonus or if I have a specific large purchase charge I want to put on that card. My Diners card was approved for 50k and I don't need that much a month to cover the bonus categories since I don't MS and there wasn't a bonus/spend requirement, so I will probably CLD it.  

that's a nice CL for the diner's club.

From what I've read so far, they seem to be very generous with CLs. However, other than getting a large CL for $300 AF, what are the actual useful perks of the card? I saw the site and the card seems ok. So is there some perks / features that I am missing?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.