cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Citi Prestige have a higher income requirement?

tag
ori68
New Contributor

Does the Citi Prestige have a higher income requirement?

Does the Citi Prestige have a higher income requirement then other Citi cards? I understand you must have income to get credit, but because the annual fee and the “status” of the card is higher, does Citi expect your income to be higher than for someone who would otherwise apply for a Thank You Premier. I recently got the Thank You Premier card and the AT&T Access More card and was thinking of applying for Prestige later this year. In case it matters, income is $40k a year, housing is $0.

Discover FICO 759(04/15)
Barclaycard FICO 763 (04/15)
Citi FICO 736 (04/15)
BOA Experian 744 (05/15)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Does the Citi Prestige have a higher income requirement?

@ori68 wrote:

Does the Citi Prestige have a higher income requirement then other Citi cards? I understand you must have income to get credit, but because the annual fee and the “status” of the card is higher, does Citi expect your income to be higher than for someone who would otherwise apply for a Thank You Premier. I recently got the Thank You Premier card and the AT&T Access More card and was thinking of applying for Prestige later this year. In case it matters, income is $40k a year, housing is $0.

Of course you have to have decent income. but no card other than amex black has any higher income requirement than the other. including citi prestige. The income represents your Debt to income ratio from your credit report.

in other words can you pay your bills. and it also reflects the amount you will likely get on the starting limit. if your income is 18k for example you might just get 6k 30 percent of your income.

But to answer your question in nut shell. the amount of the AF has no bearing on what your income should be. the AF is based on the Benefits you receive from the card. Which that money has to come from somewhere.

Message 2 of 5
Berk
Established Contributor

@ori68 wrote:

It's pretty much Citi's answer to Amex Platinum and Gold Premier Rewards all rolled into one card with a different set of perks. I make over 100K a year and I would never apply for the Prestige or the Platinum because neither one offers perks that justify the anual fee for me.

Whether you get the card or not will depend on more than just your income. What is your debt to income ratio? What are your credit scores? I don't know what minimum score will get you the Prestige but I'll venture a guess that it is somewhere around 725 average. Just a guess on my part mind you.

If you travel (and travel a lot) on American (and I think US Air) it is a great card to have. If you don't use American then you would be leaving some great perks unused.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

@ori68 wrote:

It's pretty much Citi's answer to Amex Platinum and Gold Premier Rewards all rolled into one card with a different set of perks. I make over 100K a year and I would never apply for the Prestige or the Platinum because neither one offers perks that justify the anual fee for me.

Whether you get the card or not will depend on more than just your income. What is your debt to income ratio? What are your credit scores? I don't know what minimum score will get you the Prestige but I'll venture a guess that it is somewhere around 725 average. Just a guess on my part mind you.

If you travel (and travel a lot) on American (and I think US Air) it is a great card to have. If you don't use American then you would be leaving some great perks unused.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Agree with most of what you said except the score needs.  We've seen quite a few approvals in the 675-685 range so while it is considered a premier card I think they're approval requirements are a bit lower so that Citi can collect the $450

Message 4 of 5
rlx01
Established Contributor

The Presitge is a net $100 AF card ($350 Citigold AF - $250 airline credit). The 4th night free hotel benefit pays for the card and then some.

I don't fly AA and the Presrige is one of the best cards on the market right now.

My only wish is for an expanded "travel" category to match the Premier.

Not sure if the Prestige is issued with a CL < 5k, so that might be a factor in the income thing.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.