Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score different on rejection letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score different on rejection letter

I received a rejection letter from Synchrony (for Sam's Club) 4 days ago. At the bottom of the letter it said my TU score was 411. I purchased my FICO scores from here at the last of October and it has my TU score at 643. What's going on there? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score different on rejection letter

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a rejection letter from Synchrony (for Sam's Club) 4 days ago. At the bottom of the letter it said my TU score was 411. I purchased my FICO scores from here at the last of October and it has my TU score at 643. What's going on there? 

They must be using the older FICO model. Most lenders use the FICO 8 and the newly released FICO 9. Wells Fargo uses FICO 2. 

Message 2 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

That's the first time I've seen that big of a difference.  At first reading the subject I was going to mention there's 100 different models of FICO.  I'd suggest calling in and talking to someone about that for sure.  643 might even get you the MC version of the card.

Message 3 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They must be using the older FICO model. Most lenders use the FICO 8 and the newly released FICO 9. Wells Fargo uses FICO 2. 

I have the card and this is the scoring info they provide online.  

Your FICO® Score 8 based on TransUnion Data was pulled on 10/10/2016.Synchrony Bank uses FICO® Scores, along with other information, to manage your account.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a huge difference especially if they are using the same scoring model. Can it be reconned? I'd try that. I gave up on reconning any of my denied apps. They never worked for me. lol. I just don't have the charisma to talk them out of it, I guess. 

Message 5 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

For the 200+ point difference it's worthwhile to get an approval out of it.  I'm not sure how they could be so off on this one.  Maybe on the intial app there was a typo in the SS# or something along those lines.  Might be a duplicate TU file or corrupted file on TU's side.  Hard to say without interrogating Synch about it.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm logged into MyFico now and this is what is showing for my TU score: 

Fico score 8 - 645

Fico score 4 - 643

Fico Auto score 8 - 635

Fico Auto score 4 - 635

Fico Bankcard score 8 - 635

Fico Bankcard score 4 - 579

Fico score 9 - 640

Fico Auto score 9 - 648

Fico Bankcard score 9 - 648

I was busy all day so didn't have a chance to call. I'll call Synchrony tomorrow and see if we can hash this out. 

Message 7 of 15
mrldp40
Established Contributor

they use a custom score on my walmart app 100-599 nfcu uses 1 100- 450 also
ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrldp40 wrote:
they use a custom score on my walmart app 100-599 nfcu uses 1 100- 450 also

I just got off the phone with a TU CSR and he told me the same thing - that the creditors pull our info but then use that info to score us on THEIR scoring module. He also said that TU doesn't do "FICO" scores, that they do the Vantage scores. 

So now I'm completely confused! I thought that creditors pulled our CB files AND scores and used THOSE scores to make their determinations. If that's not the case then it seems that there's absolutely no reason to know all of these FICO scores. 

Message 9 of 15
mrldp40
Established Contributor

Some use the fico 08 scores on my fico it the most common score .most large banks uses fico scores and then they tweak them for there needs .so fico scores are very important .if your fico score is good .then your proprietary score should be good too
ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.