Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First App Spree, but in what order?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First App Spree, but in what order?

Ok so here's the situation I want to set up an array of cards to get as much return on my regular purchases as possible. The intention is that each card should have its use and PIF monthly. Proceeds go to our emergency fund. A second 5% gas card rather than an AU card allows DH and I to keep our credit separate. Should have planned his first three cards better. Here are the ones we want to add. Question is in what order?
By the time I start applying I'll have about 750 FICO on Exp, 26 mo AAoA, 46mo oldest, and 1-2 inq per CB, student loans in deferment, DH will have similar score, but 8 mo AAoA, 25 mo oldest, 1-3 inq. No baddies, 0 card balances. I know I could probably get several of these right now but I want to be sure to get the hardest and most valuable first. Will there be problems with having multiple products from the same bank? Which cards are hardest to get and why? Did I miss any really solid deals on everyday stuff?

cards to get                                                fee          sign up                                         reason
AMEX Blue Cash Preferrred                     0($95)   $200 for $1000 in 3mo             6% groceries up to $6000,
Chase Sapphire Preferred                         0 ($95) 55,000 pts for $3000 in 3mo   Ultimate Rewards Pts (xfer to hyatt @$.0225ea)
Chase Freedom                                          no          15,000 pts for $500 in 3mo     5% rotating (redeemable as URP on CSP)
Amazon prime Visa sig (chase)              no          $70                                               5% Amazon (DH tools, my crafts)
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AMEX    no          none                                            5% on gas up to $3000, likely to get high sl & low %
Walmart (Synchrony)                                no           none                                            3% walmart.com inc grocery pickup

DH

Sam's Club Mastercard (Synchrony)       no          $45                                              5% Gas up to $7000, 3%restaurant/travel

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: First App Spree, but in what order?

So are you guys apping separately?
Chase only allows two cards in a 30 day period. Then you have the 5/24 rule for certain CCs.

None of these cards are tough to get if your profile supports it, outside of the 5/24 or similar rules holding folks back.

You also need to consider the spend bonuses. Unless you guys are big spenders. I would spread those types of CC apps out a bit.

Chase is normally a double CB puller unless you're in California from the data posted here.
All the other lenders are normally single CB pulls. USAA EQ or EX.
Synchrony bank primarily TU unless in-store where they pull EX.
Amex is EX 100% of the time IME.
You can obtain multiple Synchrony cards the same day. They will all be a different pull.
It's possible to get two Chase cards the same day on the same pulls.

I'd pick the cards that would benefit your daily/monthly spending the most and go from there.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured on the Amex BCP first because with my grocery spending (2 households) it pays a lot.

The CSP and Freedom next so I have time to make the spend before summmer vacation - I want to go to the Gulf Coast!

Then the USAA Amex (we have three tobacco users and 2 vehicles so big return)

The Amazon card would need to be put off for a bit for Chase's 2 in 30 days. 

Can you explain the 5/24 rule? I've seen it referenced here but not sure how it works.

Message 3 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Why not get the Amazon store card. Its a good card that is easier to get bigger limits, offers 5% as well and as 0% promos over $150.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I certainly plan on it! I spend nearly $1000 a year on Amazon I just want to prioritize the CSP and Freedom so I can use my 4 day trip to Salt Lake City next month to help meet the spend for the sign ups, then use the sign ups to book hotels for a planned summer road trip to the gulf coast.

Edit: I see now - the store card is Synchrony, but I'd prefer not to add another card that is retailer limited, I use Amazon in fits so a store card would definitely get sock drawered for months at a time.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so after reading the article I can figure on applying for the Amazon card first thing in April. I could try to get a recon on 5/24 because one of the accounts is an AU on my daughter's secured card but I'll just wait it out and put the gas stations toward the spend for the CSP bonus(or put on the Sam's Card) . Then the USAA and Walmart. Unless anyone knows another 5%+ grocery card? 

And DH can add the Sam's card whenever he feels like it.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One last question? How do you get chase to use the same pulls for two cards? will the website do it automatically or do I need to do it over the phone or something?

Message 8 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Do both Chase apps on the same day. There's been reports of members apping a day apart and still getting one set of pulls.
Safe bet is to do them a few minutes apart using separate browser or at least clear browser history before attempting 2nd app.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found a reference:

https://www.asksebby.com/blog/rules-to-know-for-chase-credit-card-applications

claiming that Amazon may not count om 5/24 But since the difference is likely a matter of minutes after satisfying the 2/30 rule. 

Thanks for all the great advice.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.