cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Card-Chase Southwest Premier,7-10 Day Message?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Card-Chase Southwest Premier,7-10 Day Message?

Hello,

I am trying to get my first credit card. I'm 21, senior in college. Have a job that nets about 27K a year. I applied for the Chase Southwest Premier card online, put down 35K as my income (the app said I could include income from other sources than my job- I.e. Parents who pay bills. Honestly probably could have put closer to 40K and still been accurate).

I tried getting my credit reports with the annual report website, only TransUnion worked, the others said I need to mail in for it. I assume this is partly due to the fact that I have hardly any credit history. For the Transunion report, all it showed is 3 years of a Chase/Bank One United Mileage Plus Explorer card that I'm an authorized user on from my dad. That was paid off completely every month, with balances ranging from 2-20K. I tried to get my credit score with the Discover website (supposed to give you your actual Fico score for free), but that gave me an error message as well (again, I'm assuming because I have so little credit history)?

Anyways, after applying for the southwest card it said they'll respond in writing within 30 days. Now about a week later, Robo lady phone line for application status says 7-10 days. I know this is supposed to be a bad sign. Question is, do I wait for a denial, then call recon? Or call now.

• The process of getting a credit card for the first time is pretty frustrating. I'm never going to spend more than I can pay in a given month, I don't have a lot of expenses. The majority of money I make goes into savings (have about 30K saved up). Just want to start building credit instead of using my debit card all the time, and I fly southwest a lot.

I also now know Chase does not like giving people their first CC. I have a US Bank checkings and savings account that I use pretty regularly with a decent cash in/out flow every month. Not sure if that would make getting a US Bank CC easier? Was looking at the Visa FlexPerks Travel Rewards Card or the Visa Cash+ Visa Signature Card.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Card-Chase Southwest Premier,7-10 Day Message?

Chase doesn't like to give anyone their first credit card. They like people who have history. Try applying for a card from a bank that likes giving accounts to people with limited history. Check Capital One or Discover. Both have a number of cards to choose from so you should be able to find something that you like. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't hurt to call and recon, read through the following link before you do.

http://therewardboss.com/chase-application-status-check-reconsideration-phone/

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are likely declined. If you have no FICO score yet or have yet to be added as an authorised user Chase will probably not give you a card. I would recommend checking at a local credit union. I know Bellco Credit Union will give students who can prove income pretty much a guaranteed approval in Colorado. I can nearly guarantee that you will not be approved for a Visa Signature card those require above a $5k starting line in most cases. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else have thoughts on calllingChase  now vs later? Even if there's not a great chance either way.

Message 5 of 11
taekwon
Regular Contributor

Might as well call them, you already took the HP. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are a college student get the Discover Student card.  You are who they want.  I got one of those when I was junior in college then when I graduated two years later everyone in town was sending me prequalified credit card offers. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel bad...I can't get an approval from Chase to save my life.  My FIRST CC was with Chemical Bank, a predecessor company to Chase.  I closed that back in the 80s and every time I've applied since I get shot down.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a little update. I did call Chase - they said I was denied because of limited credit history. A week later I went in to my local US Bank branch (where I've had an active student checking account and debit card, with a decent cash flow in and out and a good balance. I was approved in the branch for a US Bank Signature Cash+ Visa with a $5K credit limit. I did receieve an email offer with a code for $100 bonus when you spend $500 in the first three months. From what I've read in general receiving an offer like that isn't indicative of being approved - I'd credit my approval more with going in person and talking to the banker about my finances, work, school etc. Happy to have my first CC, will probobaly apply in 8-12 months for a travel rewards card

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay! Congrats!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.