Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Post! Discover it Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Post! Discover it Card

Discover is not big on recon. Before there was a direct link to apply for their secured card  the only thing they would typically do was tell you to get a co-signer or do a secured deposit. That wasn't even something they offer to everyone and you still had to meet certain criteria.

Now they the advertise and market their secured card for new credit and rebuilders that anyone can apply for, I believe they are less likely to reconsider your app.   

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright everyone, I thought I would get on here and update since that first post. Things have been going very well for me. Since starting to rebuild my credit in January I now have my AMEX blue cash every which has since tripled it's limit, I opened a NFCU cash rewards with a $15k limit, and also did get in touch with the recon line for discover. They did not approve the application but did use the app for their secured card instead. I only put $200 on it and am using it for a gas tank a month and thats it. All my cards have been paid in full. My TU fico is 710 (provided by discover) and my experian is 680 (provided by AMEX) but experian hasn't been updated since Janurary 15 so I wonder what it would be at now. At statement closing dates utilization has been at 6%. I'm pretty sure experian score will be higher next time it updates.

I realized that the car I told you guys about has not been what has affected me the most surprisingly. What i noticed is killing my score is average length of credit history. Since I started school again back in 2013, I have been pulling a subsidized student loan each term. Those loans are all new accounts and so I have around 17 different student loan accounts, which is helping my score, but at the same time has brought my 11 year average credit history lenght to 3 years and 1 month. Ouch! But nonetheless, I am not too worried about that. I am glad that after having turned in the car in 2014 I am able to be in the 700's for my actual FICO score.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. I have more I would like to write about but will start a new thread for that. Thanks to everyone for the warm and encouraging words.

Message 12 of 13
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Hey Op congrats on all of your success lately , I was going to recommend Usaa they have been very good to me during my rebuild , navy fed has not but I'm hoping they will soon one day warm up to me . Keep doing what your doing and congrats
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.