Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First credit card application denied?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First credit card application denied?

There may be an answer for this on the website already, but I find it easier to interact with the community and figure it out directly. I belong with Chase, and decided I want a credit card finally (my first one) so I applied for the Freedom card a couple of days ago, I just called and the woman said it was denied because I don't have enough credit history. What can I do if i've never had a credit card, and can't get one, to get my "credit history" up enough for it to be approved?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: First credit card application denied?

You can start with a secured card. You could also try the Capital One pre-qualifier and see if something comes up. Do you know your Fico scores, if you have any?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the Chase and Capital One prequalified card offers and both came up with nothing, The main thing now is im gonna be moving around so I won't have a permanant adress for a while, so i'll have to hold off on getting the secured. I don't know my fico scored and im a bit confused on the concept, are there any variables that decide what a score is before you even get a credit card? What do they start at? 

Message 3 of 5
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried the Chase and Capital One prequalified card offers and both came up with nothing, The main thing now is im gonna be moving around so I won't have a permanant adress for a while, so i'll have to hold off on getting the secured. I don't know my fico scored and im a bit confused on the concept, are there any variables that decide what a score is before you even get a credit card? What do they start at? 

You should probably do some reading. Here's a start: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring

Be sure and look at the pinned topics, frequently requested threads.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey there, welcome to our community.

First off, are you under 21? There are no pre-approval offers for those under 21. (sadly Smiley Sad)

I also applied for Freedom when I decided to get a card and was denied for the same reason. No credit history. 

I then went and applied for the Student Capital One Journey, which would be a good place to start imo. Discover It Student is also another option.

You can check Credit Karma for your "FAKO" or fake fico score. Alternatively, you can pull a report and FICO score by going to experian or checking your free credit reports (other alternatives available). If this is your first time apping for credit, I would suggest just pulling one from annualfreecreditreport.com to see if anyone has been using your identity (might be a bit paranoid, but I did this, lol) 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.