Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time with app regret..Cap 1 Venture App

tag
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

First time with app regret..Cap 1 Venture App

So. I apped for this card and took the 3 hard pulls. Didn't have more than 5 on any bureau so I was ok with it.

I was preapproved, but when I applied I got the 7-10 message. After calling trying to see what was going on a few times, being transferred 4 times on each call and even got lost in Canada Cap 1 a few times, I was at my wits end. Then, I finally get a status update 6 days later stating I need to send in my income verification. Smiley Mad

Now...while I know doing this will result in an approval, my first inclination was to ignore them and run FREE!!!!!!! I felt like I got another life. After a sleepy night of catching up on my MyFico "stories" something in me wanted to see if I was preapproved for the card. When I saw I was, I apped too fast. I should have apped for Arrival, it is better in my opinion to begin with.

I right now have yet to officially cancel the app, I am just processing having to deal with seeing the Cap 1 inquiries on my account until 2017. I just canceled my last Cap 1 card (perfect history, 3 years) a few months ago vowing to never go back, but I guess all the mailers, and disussion hit me somehow to the point I felt like I should MAYBE deal with them again.

I have an app spree summary coming soon, and after speaking with reps from many lenders I must say Cap 1 was the worst. But I knew this. Sigh. Rant. Rant. Smiley Embarassed

In happy news, it is Friday tomorrow! Smiley Very Happy

2/26/15: TU Fico (BarclayCard)- 721
2/18/15: EQ (CK)- 668
2/26/15: EX (EX.com)- 706

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Aarvard
Established Contributor

Re: First time with app regret..Cap 1 Venture App

I feel the same way as you do Smiley Happy. I had sweared I would never app for Cap1 card but the temptation was so strong. Now I have to spend 3k and SD Cap1. With 3 HP I could at least get approved for Freedom and Sallie Mae Smiley Mad

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 2 of 11
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Congrats on the honest retrospection of apping for Venture.   I personally swore off CapOne and resisted the urge to app for it knowing I would regret that decisions.  It's nice to see you leading the way by posting honestly on this forum and much luck in your decision going forward.

TGIF!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 3 of 11
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Uhhhh...it isn't clear WHAT you did? No lender will delete INQs if you choose to cancel the app.

Did you app for anything? Did you verify any app info? Were you approved/declined?

The only thing clear is your own indecision/remorse...WTH?

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stagefoursurvivor wrote:

Uhhhh...it isn't clear WHAT you did? No lender will delete INQs if you choose to cancel the app - OP applied, received a 7-10 day notice pending verification. Nothing has been stated about requesting deletion of INQS. This was pretty clear to me..... Smiley Indifferent

Did you app for anything? Did you verify any app info? Were you approved/declined? - Please review answers above

The only thing clear is your own indecision/remorse...WTH? - Not exactly accurate

OP if your having appliers remorse its not the end of the world Smiley Happy Yes, you took three HP with the application but at least you've realized you may not want this card or to deal with Cap Ones inadequate customer service before an official approval. Usually it seems a verification request results in approval but I wouldnt bet on that being an absolute guarantee. At this point since your application is still pending I believe its worth a try to call and ask them to cancel it, if thats what you want to do. Personally, I agree with you on Arrival being the better card Smiley Tongue GL if you decide to apply for it later

I wouldnt add Cap One to my wallet again for all the tea in China and a 20k+ limit!

Message 5 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Uhhhh...it isn't clear WHAT you did? No lender will delete INQs if you choose to cancel the app - OP applied, received a 7-10 day notice pending verification. Nothing has been stated about requesting deletion of INQS. This was pretty clear to me..... Smiley Indifferent

Did you app for anything? Did you verify any app info? Were you approved/declined? - Please review answers above

The only thing clear is your own indecision/remorse...WTH? - Not exactly accurate

OP if your having appliers remorse its not the end of the world Smiley Happy Yes, you took three HP with the application but at least you've realized you may not want this card or to deal with Cap Ones inadequate customer service before an official approval. Usually it seems a verification request results in approval but I wouldnt bet on that being an absolute guarantee. At this point since your application is still pending I believe its worth a try to call and ask them to cancel it, if thats what you want to do. Personally, I agree with you on Arrival being the better card Smiley Tongue GL if you decide to apply for it later

I wouldnt add Cap One to my wallet again for all the tea in China and a 20k+ limit!

Amen!! Not even $100k!!! Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 11
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

So. I apped for this card and took the 3 hard pulls. Didn't have more than 5 on any bureau so I was ok with it.

I was preapproved, but when I applied I got the 7-10 message. After calling trying to see what was going on a few times, being transferred 4 times on each call and even got lost in Canada Cap 1 a few times, I was at my wits end. Then, I finally get a status update 6 days later stating I need to send in my income verification. Smiley Mad

Now...while I know doing this will result in an approval, my first inclination was to ignore them and run FREE!!!!!!! I felt like I got another life. After a sleepy night of catching up on my MyFico "stories" something in me wanted to see if I was preapproved for the card. When I saw I was, I apped too fast. I should have apped for Arrival, it is better in my opinion to begin with.

I right now have yet to officially cancel the app, I am just processing having to deal with seeing the Cap 1 inquiries on my account until 2017. I just canceled my last Cap 1 card (perfect history, 3 years) a few months ago vowing to never go back, but I guess all the mailers, and disussion hit me somehow to the point I felt like I should MAYBE deal with them again.

I have an app spree summary coming soon, and after speaking with reps from many lenders I must say Cap 1 was the worst. But I knew this. Sigh. Rant. Rant. Smiley Embarassed

In happy news, it is Friday tomorrow! Smiley Very Happy

We all have different opinions of the various lenders. IMO, Chase is the worst, Citi is a close second.

For me to go back to citi, they have to offer me 0% APR for life and $100K inviolable CL!

As for the OPs issue, call them, maybe they'll give you a $50K CL

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 7 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

Aarvard wrote:

I feel the same way as you do Smiley Happy. I had sweared I would never app for Cap1 card but the temptation was so strong. Now I have to spend 3k and SD Cap1. With 3 HP I could at least get approved for Freedom and Sallie Mae Smiley Mad

Smiley Happy And when I got the verification news, this is what I feared the most if I decided to follow through-- a lackluster CL! Can't do it! Just got approved high CL for other cards, without any hassle or annoyance. 

Go for the latter cards after you get some age and you can always close if you want to! 

Message 8 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Congrats on the honest retrospection of apping for Venture.   I personally swore off CapOne and resisted the urge to app for it knowing I would regret that decisions.  It's nice to see you leading the way by posting honestly on this forum and much luck in your decision going forward.

TGIF!

Thank you BarryNTexas! 

Message 9 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldnt add Cap One to my wallet again for all the tea in China and a 20k+ limit! Smiley LOL <------Yes!!!!!!!! 

@Smiley Very Happy Thanks a bunch @Anonymous! I wish I could give you 100 kudos for responding to stagefoursurvivor for me! Smiley LOL
I am going to call and officially cancel the app today and keep the Arrival on my radar. I just got a few new cards (update coming tonight or tomorrow on the approval board) including the 50K bonus US Airways (starting CL 7.5K) last night, and I have some other cards with miles/travel benefits that I can use strategically for now. 
I have learned my lesson and CapOne, it's been fun. Blacklist position #1 reinstated. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.