Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert Ruining My Application Plans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud Alert Ruining My Application Plans

I have been working hard on my credit for over 5 years trying to achieve the best reports 

and scores possible. 

I now have very solid credit files and scores.

I recently noticed a collection for a $197 medical bill on my Experian report in which I

immediately disputed.

Experian removed this from my credit report in only 2 days  WOW .... Thats awesome !

Well...a fraud alert has now been sent to all of the CRA's       Smiley Sad

I had BIG plans for Monday, was going to finally reap my rewards and get myself my first Amex and Chase cards.

Now what ?

First of all I get NO Pre approvals from anyone anymore.

Secondly, I have heard that I may be outright rejected if I apply for any cards because of the alerts.

What are my options, and will I still be able to apply for the cards without a rejection due to the Fraud alert ?

I have been also told that If approved, I may even receive a higher interest rate and lower SL duer to this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated   

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud Alert Ruining My Application Plans

Did you dispute the account online or via phone?  That's your error and it's one that people keep making because they think online/phone disputes are safe and faster than the paper route.

I only dispute accounts using USPS CMRRR and I've had them disappear within days of sending out the letter.  I've also seen probably hundreds of people get fraud alerts by using the phone or online dispute system because these are almost all "multiple choice" disputes where you have no real say in how you are specifically disputing a tradeline.

Now you get to play the fraud alert removal game -- do it in writing, by postal mail, and request a copy of your credit reports (paper version) in your letters.

Stop disputing online or via the phone.  It's a dangerous game with negative outcomes if the person answering the phone doesn't understand you, or if the online dispute doesn't cover the actual reason for the dispute and you just pick something that sounds good.

"Not mine" is the most dangerous dispute online/via phone.

Your online prequalifications are now gone for sure -- fraud alerts automatically opt you out.  Go to the optout website and opt back in, then wait a few months for it to propogate back to the creditors databases.

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of that great information, but I am still not clear on the answer to

my main question stated below  ....

What are my options, and will I still be able to apply for the cards without a rejection due to the Fraud alert ?

Thanks again 

Message 3 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just because you have a fraud alert doesnt mean youll be rejected. Fraud alerts are there to protect you so the ccc may need additional info to verify you so i wouldnt let it stop me from applying. Just maybe not Blispay, they have enough trouble verifying you on a good daySmiley Wink
Message 4 of 29
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Just because you have a fraud alert doesnt mean youll be rejected. Fraud alerts are there to protect you so the ccc may need additional info to verify you so i wouldnt let it stop me from applying. Just maybe not Blispay, they have enough trouble verifying you on a good daySmiley Wink

+1  Ain't that the truth!

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Good news AJ !

I called Experian and Transunion,

They both verified my identity and PRESTO.... They both removed the Fraud alerts and 

told me that it was an immediate removal.   Smiley Tongue

I did alot of research and found special numbers to call to avoid the snail mail removal method.

Message 6 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very nice, now go get yoursSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be apping on Monday !

I will post the results as soon as I know something

Message 8 of 29
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Good luck OP!

What Chase and AmEx cards are you going to app for?

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be apping for the CSP,
and BCE cards.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.