cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From many to no "pre-qualified" applications...

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

From many to no "pre-qualified" applications...

I used to get piles of "pre-qualified" applications in when my credit wasn't great. They were from companies like Credit One. Now that it's ok, I don't get anything. I thought there would have been a shift from mail like that from sub-prime cards to offers from prime lenders. Unless I'm in the middle ground and don't meet their standards yet. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From many to no "pre-qualified" applications...

You know how many prequalification said I get?  Nada, not one.  And no prequalified listings when I check.

Imho., aar too much focus on prequalifications here.  Know your credit file and the requirements of the card you want and apply if you're within their standards apply.  And then be prepared to call and state why you qualify for that card.  I think way too many people miss out on a card they want because they don't show as prequalified when they check.

Message 2 of 8
matolen
Contributor

I think we are so HP-phobic we lean on these flawed pre-qualification sites like safety blankets.

Things like mailers, or site pop-ups -- though not 100% -- seem more likely for a good outcome.

But I have never gotten pre-qualified for anything, either.  Everything I applied for was an educated guess.

Message 3 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

For me, I'm not looking for them to obtain new credit. I would just get piles of those when I had bad credit.  And now that it's ok, I don't get anything. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

I get bored and love to find preapproval site and just see some offers, rarely am i prequalified .only cap1 for qs visa and
Venture did i take and was approved for both.
i was at a friends apt the other day who has good credit, uses a few practical cards for a long time. Mailbox LOADED with chase discover citi amex mail marketing stuff.. I come home to nothing to no marketing hype on me lol. ! But i have almost all the cards ive wanted, all of which were blind apps.
Message 5 of 8
FicoNoobiski
Valued Member

It depends where you live and quite possibly the people who you live with too.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get jack for good pre-qual offers in the mail...only those junk predatory cards.

Message 7 of 8
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

How many of those "pre-qualified offers" were from predatory type lenders?  How many of the cards that you want/desire that you already have?  What region do you live in, and is there a marketing push from lenders for that area?  Do you spend a lot and frequent stores that perhaps capture your data that lead to more offers?  There are so many of these questions that go into why we receive these offers.  As Irish stated sometimes we lose out on the cards we want waiting on offers that may never come.  Sometimes all those great offers only come after you have all those great cards.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.