Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GF has AMEX 100k Plat AND 50k PRG offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GF has AMEX 100k Plat AND 50k PRG offers

SHE HAS NEVER HAD AN AMEX CARD. I'd like to bust the myth right now, you don't need an special qualifications to get the 100k plat offer! She's never even been an AU on an AMEX and only has one credit card, the Arrival no AF version I convinced her to get two months ago.

She built up a small credit profile from two years of on-time student loan payments and has a fairly low income. Can she get both charge cards at once??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GF has AMEX 100k Plat AND 50k PRG offers

@Anonymous wrote:

SHE HAS NEVER HAD AN AMEX CARD. I'd like to bust the myth right now, you don't need an special qualifications to get the 100k plat offer! She's never even been an AU on an AMEX and only has one credit card, the Arrival no AF version I convinced her to get two months ago.

She built up a small credit profile from two years of on-time student loan payments and has a fairly low income. Can she get both charge cards at once??

I don't think it is a myth about special qualifications.  Amex likes new members and I would jump on that 100k Platinum offer.  If she can meet the spend requirements, yeah I would go for both.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it is a myth about special qualifications.  Amex likes new members and I would jump on that 100k Platinum offer.  If she can meet the spend requirements, yeah I would go for both.

Ah ok, I saw someone post in another thread that you're usually not eligible for platinum unless you've had the gold for at least a year. Just wanted to share my newfound wisdom, though it might still be true - maybe she'd be denied if she applied. Going to try and convince her to get both I think.

Message 3 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah ok, I saw someone post in another thread that you're usually not eligible for platinum unless you've had the gold for at least a year. Just wanted to share my newfound wisdom, though it might still be true - maybe she'd be denied if she applied. Going to try and convince her to get both I think.

My Fico back when I first got a charge card from them was 656, so they're not too difficult to get.  Especially with a pre-approval, Amex is generally good to go in that case.

Message 4 of 10
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

OP did she get those offers in the mail or Email i think getting approved for 2 charges at 1 time might be difficult to get approved.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit-hunter wrote:

OP did she get those offers in the mail or Email i think getting approved for 2 charges at 1 time might be difficult to get approved.

They're through the AMEX preapproval link, she also has the Everyday preferred offer for a total of three targeted bonuses. I too am wondering if she can get both charge cards at the same time, I'll update if she decides to app!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not true.  I got the Platinum card/100K offer without having had a previous charge card from Amex.  I took the EDP 25k offer and got approved.  A couple weeks later, I took the Platinum 100k offer and got approved.  The 100k points are now showing as pending in my Amex online account summary.  I have almost reached my EDP spending threshold and am hoping to see an additional 25k pending in the coming weeks.  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think AMEX is waiting until my EX INQ's come down before presenting me this offer.

How thoughtful of them.

Message 8 of 10
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think AMEX is waiting until my EX INQ's come down before presenting me this offer.

How thoughtful of them.

LOL Smiley Very Happy

br>Current Scores: EQ: 629 EX: 654 TU: 682 on 12/30/2014 from myFico
Starting Scores: EQ: 640 EX: 672 TU: 663 on 08/26/2014 from myFico
Goal Scores: 750+

In the Garden till October 2015 - Last App November 13, 2014
Message 9 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How thoughtful of them.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Dam you!!!!

I'm holding out a bit to app for amex prg, my fico is 683 as of 10/29. Waiting for my new CLI to report sometime next week $7700 in increase should do some good. 

However my util is at 43% right now but going down every week

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.