Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting That Itch Again!

tag
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Getting That Itch Again!

I'm starting to think that for some of us these approvals are just an addiction. It's like we get a certain giddy kind of high, each time we get that glowing golden approval letter.

Nevertheless, not for nothing, I still have some business to take care of... reasons why I'm not on set it and forget it mode, at least yet.

I'm looking for a gas card, a 2% cash back card, and possibly another premium travel card. Here's the skinny: I'm looking for high limit cards that would allow product change if I decide to switch after the year is up. This way, I'm not tied to the annual fees forever, as well as, it would ensure that the upper limit is based on excellent credit, touch wood... rather than the inadequacies of the lesser card product, long term.

So, here are the potential cards that are up on the docket:

1. CSR. The plan is to get the card, and possibly convert it after a year. I'm currently 4/24, so that's why this would be the first move.

2. Citi Prestige. Similar strategy as above... acquire Visa Infinite product and review for the year. Then, is it possible to potentially product change to the Double Cash?

3. FNBO. Ever since I used to have 5% off gas on the Simply Cash Biz, I've missed a 5% gas card. FNBO has two of them. Although, I was reading that they also might be 5/24, as well. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? - As an aside, I'm aware that one of these cards might be considered politically controversial. But, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care who pays me 5 cents on the dollar to purchase gas that I was already going to purchase anyway. Call me a credit whore to the highest bidder, if you will. I won't feel the least bit bad about it.

4. I read that you can actually obtain more than one Venture card, plus another 50k bonus. Is this accurate? I don't know why I would want the triple pull again; but it's certainly something that I could live with, and then perhaps convert that card to a Quicksilver down the road, if possible.

5. Are there any other Barclaycards that can be converted? I'm not 100% sold on just getting a standalone Uber card off the bat, just for the sole 4% restaurant category; but I may consider it in the future, particularly if I can transfer a hefty limit from, say, acquiring the Red Aviator... to that card. If it wouldn't work with that card, has anyone had success with a PC from another Barclaycard?

5. Honorable mention to Discover It card, and/or US Bank Cash Plus. There's an outside chance that after all the dust settles, I'd be willing to take on one of these cards, knowing that they probably wouldn't give me a SL of more than 10k, based on numerous data points. So long as I've already got all of my other limits where they need to be... I can play ball with one or two somewhat timid issuers. But, of course, I can also live without them.

Okay, so I'm sure by now you can see where I'm going with this strategy. Maximize the oomph from each line, and then potentially PC to cards that may have more long term usefulness, plus the added benefit of... fee-averseness. Okay, I know I just made that word up, but you get the gist. 

Looking for tips, data points, and potential pitfalls to avoid, in aid of maximizing this strategy; as I'm sure some of us in here have probably done this x10 already.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting That Itch Again!

wrote:

I'm starting to think that for some of us these approvals are just an addiction. It's like we get a certain giddy kind of high, each time we get that glowing golden approval letter.

Nevertheless, not for nothing, I still have some business to take care of... reasons why I'm not on set it and forget it mode, at least yet.

I'm looking for a gas card, a 2% cash back card, and possibly another premium travel card. Here's the skinny: I'm looking for high limit cards that would allow product change if I decide to switch after the year is up. This way, I'm not tied to the annual fees forever, as well as, it would ensure that the upper limit is based on excellent credit, touch wood... rather than the inadequacies of the lesser card product, long term.

So, here are the potential cards that are up on the docket:

1. CSR. The plan is to get the card, and possibly convert it after a year. I'm currently 4/24, so that's why this would be the first move.

2. Citi Prestige. Similar strategy as above... acquire Visa Infinite product and review for the year. Then, is it possible to potentially product change to the Double Cash?  Citi Prestige is not issued as a Visa Infinite in the US, only WEMC.  You'll have to contact Citi to determine what PC eligibility is available once the card is around ~12 months and see whether DC is viable

3. FNBO. Ever since I used to have 5% off gas on the Simply Cash Biz, I've missed a 5% gas card. FNBO has two of them. Although, I was reading that they also might be 5/24, as well. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?  Not necessarily 5/24 like Chase, but new accounts/inquiries sensitive depending on your overall profile - As an aside, I'm aware that one of these cards might be considered politically controversial. But, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care who pays me 5 cents on the dollar to purchase gas that I was already going to purchase anyway. Call me a credit whore to the highest bidder, if you will. I won't feel the least bit bad about it.

4. I read that you can actually obtain more than one Venture card, plus another 50k bonus. Is this accurate? There are some data points that indicate some individuals who have been approved for another set of Venture CCs and have qualified for the SUB a few times.  I don't know why I would want the triple pull again; but it's certainly something that I could live with (pay to play), and then perhaps convert that card to a Quicksilver down the road, if possible.

5. Are there any other Barclaycards that can be converted?  Upgraded, yes.  Converted, not necessarily.  There used to be some PCs available at one point with Arrival/Arrival+ to other non-cobranded products, but as far as a PC from say JetBlue to Uber or Hawaiian to Red Aviator, not gonna happen.   I'm not 100% sold on just getting a standalone Uber card off the bat, just for the sole 4% restaurant category; but I may consider it in the future, particularly if I can transfer a hefty limit from, say, acquiring the Red Aviator... to that card. If it wouldn't work with that card, has anyone had success with a PC from another Barclaycard?  CL reallocations can be done, but if you wanted to PC the Uber card to another product such as the Red Aviator, no.

5. Honorable mention to Discover It card, and/or US Bank Cash Plus. There's an outside chance that after all the dust settles, I'd be willing to take on one of these cards, knowing that they probably wouldn't give me a SL of more than 10k, based on numerous data points. So long as I've already got all of my other limits where they need to be... I can play ball with one or two somewhat timid issuers. But, of course, I can also live without them.

Okay, so I'm sure by now you can see where I'm going with this strategy. Maximize the oomph from each line, and then potentially PC to cards that may have more long term usefulness, plus the added benefit of... fee-averseness. Okay, I know I just made that word up, but you get the gist. 

Looking for tips, data points, and potential pitfalls to avoid, in aid of maximizing this strategy; as I'm sure some of us in here have probably done this x10 already.  Yes, if not more.

Message 2 of 7
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Has anyone PC'd from the Citi Prestige, and if so, to what card? 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Howdy!! Okay, regarding these decisions I always start out by saying there is no wrong answer. It’s up to you what you feel comfortable with. The cards that come to mind would be the Citi Double Cash, AMEX Blue Cash EveryDay or AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. All except the BCP has a 2% cash back. The preferred has 3% back on gas stations.

Each can be product changed to others in their brand. Hopefully those help. ☺️
Message 4 of 7
trusty
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to need 5% back on gas.

But I'm having second thoughts on FNBO, because I don't want to start getting cards frivolously... bringing down my average age - over a measly 5% off gas.

Yet, I know that if I go ahead and accumulate other cards, I'll probably wear out any welcome with FNBO - should I decide to apply later on.

I'm just trying to decide if saving a few hundred dollars a year - solely on gas - is worth going over 5/24. It's really debatable, either way.

I guess it could offset the annual fee from either the CSR or the CP.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your first paragraph really made me laugh out loud Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Getting That Itch Again!

They have creams for thatSmiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.