Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting approved for an Amex not on the Preapprovals list

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Getting approved for an Amex not on the Preapprovals list

I am helping my sister rebuild her credit after a rough patch.  She's at the point now where she's closing her sub-prime cards (Credit One, Milestone) and opening some prime ones.  She has a CapOne with a $3,000 CL that she's had since 2006.  She was preapproved for a Discover it, so she applied for that and got a $2,200 SL last week.

I also checked what she's preapproved for with amex, but all it's showing is the Gold Delta.  I've advised her to get the Everyday (no annual fee + MR Points), but I'm not sure if she should apply if the card isn't showing up in her preapprovals.

I'm not sure what her FICO is, though she'll know soon enough when her Discover comes.  She has a minimal balance on her Cap One, which is her only open CC.  Her credit has been clean for the past 18 months or so, but she had a bunch of serious delinquencies and a couple charge-offs before that.  My best guess is that her score is in the 620s or 630s.

My question is this: what are her odds of getting approved for an Everyday right now, even though it's not showing up in her preapprovals?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting approved for an Amex not on the Preapprovals list

Edited because I type and my message disappears.

Anyways....keep the CapOne because of AAoA and credit line.

What does she want to do? Get in the door with AmEx or really wants the MR reward card? Co-branded cards seems to have a lower level of credit requirements versus EDC/BCE. Additionally, when she goes to the prequal - does it give her a since APR rate or a small range?

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LionLawwrote:

I am helping my sister rebuild her credit after a rough patch.  She's at the point now where she's closing her sub-prime cards (Credit One, Milestone) and opening some prime ones.  She has a CapOne with a $3,000 CL that she's had since 2006.  She was preapproved for a Discover it, so she applied for that and got a $2,200 SL last week.

I also checked what she's preapproved for with amex, but all it's showing is the Gold Delta.  I've advised her to get the Everyday (no annual fee + MR Points), but I'm not sure if she should apply if the card isn't showing up in her preapprovals.

I'm not sure what her FICO is, though she'll know soon enough when her Discover comes.  She has a minimal balance on her Cap One, which is her only open CC.  Her credit has been clean for the past 18 months or so, but she had a bunch of serious delinquencies and a couple charge-offs before that.  My best guess is that her score is in the 620s or 630s.

My question is this: what are her odds of getting approved for an Everyday right now, even though it's not showing up in her preapprovals?

If you are correct it’s 620 to 630ish you may want to have her wait till it’s about 650 or above for American Express. But it’s just an educated guess. Others are right that maybe a co branded American Express might be better chance for now. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover gives a free Fico score to anyone. She or you could check there.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Amex is I was preapproved for a few different cards with sub 600 scores and was denied.  I was not showing any preapprovals when I was approved for my BCE (EX 673) and Hilton Honors (EX 669).  Have her sign up for the Discover scorecard and she will get a free EX score.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the Gold Delta card for now.  Very soon after she can pick up preferred products as she will likely be Pre-Approved for just about every card Amex offers.

Message 6 of 7
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

@LionLawwrote:

I figured I'd update this.  Over the weekend, she checked the preapprovals page, and was now showing 3 preapprovals: the Everyday, the BCE, and the Gold Delta.  So, I sent her a referral link for the Everyday (gotta get those bonus MR points!), she used it to fill out an app, and she was approved with a $2,000 SL.

Now that she has a CapOne, a Discover, and an Amex, she should be set with CCs for the foreseeable future.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.