cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting free EX credit score out of AMEX decline for AMEX holders?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting free EX credit score out of AMEX decline for AMEX holders?

@coldnmn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so hear me out.

Since Amex only performs a softpull on a decline for members, there's no impact to your credit report for applying. If you get declined they still provide you with your EX credit score. I want their BCP but got declined last month when I applied (I already have the PRG so I'm an AMEX member). Can I just apply for the BCP every month/couple weeks and if I get it great, if I get declined I get a free EX score? Or would AMEX dislike that?

Any company after a short time in my opinion would reduce their cost and close the account. Time is money for them and you would be wasting a lot of theirs. Unless your usage on your current account justifys it. With the current denial, it's up to you to decide if it does.

Actually I don't think it costs them anything to apply for another card if you do it online They already soft pull your score twice a month and just make the decision based on that, so I think it's entirely handled by their computers. However I agree it might raise red flags if they record it (which they probably do) since it would seem to be very desparate for credit. I use my PRG plenty anyway (for now). I don't think I'd actually have the guts to try this (at least not app more than every couple months) but I wanted to hear people's thoughts!

Message 11 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

LOL creative, but I would guess they would dislike you quickly.  That being said, is that a real EX FICO they give, or is that a modified internal score? I han't bothered to compare mine or DW's last time.

I couldn't say for sure until I get home tonight, but I'm 90% certain that the FICO I got on my approval / explanation of APR letter for my Hilton card matched the EX FICO I got the day before from myFICO. I don't think it's an internal score.

Agreed that's creative. OP had me thinking about doing that for a second haha. Sixteen bucks every time I want a score adds up quickly. That's what got me to stupidly apply for that Overstock MC. I'm going to freeze my ARS report and try another FNBO card sometime in the future though.

Its best not to annoy the credit card companies. Especially when its so easy to get free FICO scores from the companies that willingly provide them as a feature.

For free TU08: DiscoverCard, BarclayUS, Walmart

For free EX08: FNBO, and probably American Express later this year.

For free EQ04: DCU Savings account (requires a HP), and soon Citi (probably EQ08)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

LOL creative, but I would guess they would dislike you quickly.  That being said, is that a real EX FICO they give, or is that a modified internal score? I han't bothered to compare mine or DW's last time.

I couldn't say for sure until I get home tonight, but I'm 90% certain that the FICO I got on my approval / explanation of APR letter for my Hilton card matched the EX FICO I got the day before from myFICO. I don't think it's an internal score.

Agreed that's creative. OP had me thinking about doing that for a second haha. Sixteen bucks every time I want a score adds up quickly. That's what got me to stupidly apply for that Overstock MC. I'm going to freeze my ARS report and try another FNBO card sometime in the future though.

Its best not to annoy the credit card companies. Especially when its so easy to get free FICO scores from the companies that willingly provide them as a feature.

For free TU08: DiscoverCard, BarclayUS, Walmart

For free EX08: FNBO, and probably American Express later this year.

For free EQ04: DCU Savings account (requires a HP), and soon Citi (probably EQ08)

Agreed. I wouldn't do it. I'm looking forward to getting my EQ FICO from Citi and I'll figure out the EX FICO at some point. If I stick to my gardening plan, then I shouldn't even need an EX FICO for at least a few months. Hopefully by then Amex will be offering them and I won't have to jump through hoops to get in with FNBO.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.