Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting multiple barclays cards!!

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting multiple barclays cards!!

Please be careful with this! Lol as a Barclaycard holder($7700 Trav Amex) Barclay's can turn on you like a snake. And the don't really like to dole out second accounts. I apped for an Arrival card with a 713 TU(listed on letter) and got denied for "sufficient credit". Heh
Anywho, good luck! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

I've had up to 4, but beyond 2 is quite a hassle.  In the past, 60 days were good enough for another card, but I'm not sure if that's changed.  

For me, the on the 4th card, I got a better result by just letting them review it, whereas in the previous one, calling them only resulted in their analyst giving me a pedantic  and sophomoric lesson on credit risk.

Message 12 of 29
sandman2435
Established Contributor

I had 3 and closed out 2...and did the wait 6 month deal and apped for the arrival card and get the same lecture..even though I've had my NFL card for over 6 months and ran a ton of $ thur it and always paid in full...I even asked for them to split my 12.2K limit to open up the arrival..Still no dice!! oh wellSmiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

IMO this varies by individual.  Perhaps bad luck for one of the above posters (even on recon) who makes the assertion that Barclays can turn on you "like a snake" but I disagree.  I've had up to 4 CC products with them, never any issues - other than for one I received as a pre-approved offer I had to call to verify ID information - nothing major.  The consensus would seem based on folks who post on these forums that Barclays tends to be conservative; however, those who have above average or excellent credit then it should present no issue on obtaining a 2nd product. 

I eventually consolidated the 4 into 3 CCs and shifted the CLs without any issues.  My history with them dates back to 2006 though.

Message 14 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

I eventually consolidated the 4 into 3 CCs and shifted the CLs without any issues.  My history with them dates back to 2006 though.

I'm eventually going to consolidate 3 of them into a no fee one.  Do you know if they're receptive to PC'ing from a fee card (such as US Air & Arrival) into the Barclay Rewards?

Message 15 of 29
Ron1
Super Contributor

I got denied for Apple Itunes card 90 days after I got approved for Travelocity Amex card. I waited for almost a year and half to apply for another Barclays Card. I currently have two. I don't think I want another one now.

Ron.

Message 16 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I'm eventually going to consolidate 3 of them into a no fee one.  Do you know if they're receptive to PC'ing from a fee card (such as US Air & Arrival) into the Barclay Rewards?

Very good question.  It was my understanding when I spoke with them a while back, that in order to consolidate any CCs they have to be within the same or similar product family and open for a while (>12 mos).  For instance, a co-branded US Airways could not be combined with say the non co-branded Ring Card or the Apple Financing CC into the Travelocity CC.  However, it appears Barclays reviews those TL consolidation policies periodically.  Best suggestion is to contact them to determine whether there's any flexibility with consolidating the current products that you have or shift the limit(s) to the card that gets the best benefit overall.

Message 17 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

So they want at least 6 months in between cards then? or longer?

I might be interested in another Barclays card, but having to deal with them sounds a little too troublesome for what it's worth.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

So they want at least 6 months in between cards then? or longer?

I might be interested in another Barclays card, but having to deal with them sounds a little too troublesome for what it's worth.

That was my impression enharu when I last spoke with them.  Now, I'm certain this could vary by individual of course.  IMO, for the optimal Barclays approval opportunity with their multi-product suite to spread them every other year.

Message 19 of 29
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Found this interesting ditty: http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelchai/2012/12/12/barclays-credit-cards-101-and-how-many-can-you-ge...
I personally have 2. Had no problem getting the second. Instant approval but the apps were well over a year apart and my FICO significantly improved from my first app with them. Smiley Happy.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.