Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting rid of low-end cards.

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Getting rid of low-end cards.

To me an American Express Centrion is a Bugatti. An American Express Platinum is a Ferrari 458.  American Express Gold Premium Rewards card would be an Audi S4. Chase Saphire Preffered would be a 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport Edition.

A Capital One Quick sliver feels like cardboard and looks very cheap, I would cringe and get embarrased if I ever used this in public.  Capital One Quick Silver is equal to a used 2012 Honda Fit with 58,900 miles and transmission problems.  

My question is do I get rid of all the Honda Fit tierd cards in my inventory?  Will it hurt my credit?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting rid of low-end cards.

You want to get rid of cards because of how they look?

Message 2 of 44
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Ha! I enjoyed your comparisons. 

If you got rid of that Honda Fit the only think that would be effected would be your utilization. Your AAoA won't be effected because the account reports for 10 years.

I recently closed all of my starter/rebuilders. Heck, I'd say one of them was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. 

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

To me an American Express Centrion is a Bugatti. An American Express Platinum is a Ferrari 458.  American Express Gold Premium Rewards card would be an Audi S4. Chase Saphire Preffered would be a 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport Edition.

A Capital One Quick sliver feels like cardboard and looks very cheap, I would cringe and get embarrased if I ever used this in public.  Capital One Quick Silver is equal to a used 2012 Honda Fit with 58,900 miles and transmission problems.  

My question is do I get rid of all the Honda Fit tierd cards in my inventory?  Will it hurt my credit?

I would be embarrased to show my Capital One cards in public as that is the one bank people seen to know is for people in trouble or just starting out. Closed all of my Cap1 accounts which was seven.

Message 4 of 44
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

I would be embarrased to show my Capital One cards in public as that is the one bank people seen to know is for people in trouble or just starting out. Closed all of my Cap1 accounts which was seven.

Eh, to each their own, I say. Everyone is on their own path for credit. I certainly do feel better about whipping out my AMEX than when the only card I was approved for was an Orchard Bank card but still...I needed that Orchard Bank card to get me my AMEX. If anything, I see people with a "lesser" card I feel like asking them a million questions trying to understand their journey and wanting to help them, ha!

Message 5 of 44
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks I will close all of my Honda Fit cards.

Message 6 of 44
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Eh, to each their own, I say. Everyone is on their own path for credit. I certainly do feel better about whipping out my AMEX than when the only card I was approved for was an Orchard Bank card but still...I needed that Orchard Bank card to get me my AMEX. If anything, I see people with a "lesser" card I feel like asking them a million questions trying to understand their journey and wanting to help them, ha!

Yeah it has some sentimental value to it.  Capital One helped me when I had no credit.  I was paying everything in cash up to age 25 thinking it was the smart thing to do.

I may still get rid of it...

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

I dunno. With all the new and recent advertisement for higher tier CapOne cards, I don't see ANY problem using a CapOne in public.

The only problem is? I have cards that reward me better now.

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Truth I had Cap1, HSBC and Orchard Cards. Some had CLs at $10,600. As you mentioned it was my rebuild starting point. The journey is of interest and I closed the cards (not because of looks) based on the financial meltdown starting back in 2007 when Cap1 and others got very ridgid and hard to deal with. My first Cap1 Card went back to 2001 with a 7.9% no AF which they jacked to 23.9% (like many others) and I was far enough into the rebuild to not want the hassle and eliminated 100% of all my starter cards that were not giving me the benefits of higher tier cards. Today, Cap1 has some higher tier cards (didn't exist when I closed them down in 2009).

Message 9 of 44
skigirl916
Established Contributor

No offense, JoshNurse, but you're focused entirely on the wrong thing when it comes to credit.  

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.