Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good card for 680-690 scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good card for 680-690 scores?

Looking to add another card or two in a month or so.

Current scores are 680ish (FICO) across the board. Only negative on report is a paid repo from almost 3 years ago.

Currently have a secured Cap1 - limit of $950. Also have unsecured Cap1 (QSOne), limit of $4,500. Total credit - $5,500. Utilization under 10%.

I'll be purchasing a vehicle in the next month. In order to do so, I plan to app with DCU for financing, and hopefully get a card from them. I'm looking to add one (or two) to the mix as well.

Once I secure vehicle financing and hopefully a card from DCU, that will put me at 4/24 - so I can squeeze in a Chase card. If DCU is slow to report a new card, I can squeeze in a second.

What would be some good options with my scores? CK shows very good odds of a Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Saphire Preferred, good odds for Cap1 Venture, fair odds at Amex EverDay and Bank AmeriCard Cash Rewards.

No real priorities as far as BT, rewards, travel, etc. I'd probably prefer rewards more than anything, but mostly just looking to add to the portfolio and increase overall credit. If it matters, DTI is very low and will still be under 15% after an auto loan.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Re: Good card for 680-690 scores?

@Anonymous wrote:

Current scores are 680ish (FICO) across the board. Only negative on report is a paid repo from almost 3 years ago.

Currently have a secured Cap1 - limit of $950. Also have unsecured Cap1 (QSOne), limit of $4,500. Total credit - $5,500. Utilization under 10%.

I'll be purchasing a vehicle in the next month. In order to do so, I plan to app with DCU for financing, and hopefully get a card from them. I'm looking to add one (or two) to the mix as well.

Once I secure vehicle financing and hopefully a card from DCU, that will put me at 4/24 - so I can squeeze in a Chase card. If DCU is slow to report a new card, I can squeeze in a second.

What would be some good options with my scores? CK shows very good odds of a Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Saphire Preferred, good odds for Cap1 Venture, fair odds at Amex EverDay and Bank AmeriCard Cash Rewards.

No real priorities as far as BT, rewards, travel, etc. I'd probably prefer rewards more than anything, but mostly just looking to add to the portfolio and increase overall credit. If it matters, DTI is very low and will still be under 15% after an auto loan.

Dont look at what CK says, as mostly they are for advertisement. You may have a good shot at Amex, because they have been approving more peeople than avarage lately, assuming due to them losing costco and jetblue accounts. With a 680 Ex score you should easily get approved. You can try Cap one and amex website and see if they show you any pre qualified offers. IF you don't get any, it does not mean that you will not get approved. I would try the pre qualifies first, and then come back here and let us know what cards come up, and we can make a better strategy for you! There are several well educated people here, and even the order you apply for few cards can make a difference in the approvals and the SL's.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

GO FOR CAPITAL ONE NUMBER 2!! 

I can almost guarantee you WILL get approved...

Message 3 of 11
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Marvel MC by Synchrony? Is that your TU score? Navy Fed has checked TU for all my CC approvals and I got a Platinum at 5k with a 650 and the cashRewards at 1k with 694. Got the Marvel at 6k as well.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to tell you this but CK's "odds" are completely fabricated and meaningless. Just disregard them entirely.

Some cards you might want to look into are the Barclay Rewards card and Synchrony's new Marvel card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget to check Chase's prequal offers as well as Cap One's too.

I'd got my first Chase card (Freedom) at a score slightly lower. I also got a Discover It, AMEX BCE, Barclays Sallie Mae at that score. The only reason I'm not immediately suggesting Discover is because of the paid repo. 

But definitely try Chase and Cap One prequals. If a prequal shows as one with fixed APR, at least with Chase it's pretty good. I'd start with 1 -2 big banks before going down other routes.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely check the prequals and report back. Some really good suggestions on various cards.

As for the paid repo, it is what it is. I've had the two cards for about 18 months with no lates, just letting positive payments build while older negatives fell off. Not much else I can do except continue building positive history and growing the portfolio.
Message 7 of 11
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Check Discover and Amex prequals too. But, report back here what you get offered before you app as some of them are not solid. Also, go for the Marvel MC. They seem to be letting folks in fairly easily. 

Also, get CCT or myFICO credit scores to get your FICO 8 scores. CK scores are junk. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Check Discover and Amex prequals too. But, report back here what you get offered before you app as some of them are not solid. Also, go for the Marvel MC. They seem to be letting folks in fairly easily. 

Also, get CCT or myFICO credit scores to get your FICO 8 scores. CK scores are junk. 

No, Discover prequals are not genuine.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 11
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

No, Discover prequals are not genuine.

Yes, I believe I stated that. And some of them are actually solid. I have never seen them but the color of the card and the APR split is a pretty good indicator. That is why I mentioned coming back here and posting what the offer is before apping. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.