cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good card w likely approval recommendations?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good card w likely approval recommendations?

Hi all, I’m looking to apply for another credit card soon, and I’m hoping for cash back or travel points, or if I end up waiting long enough, 0apr.

I’m currently EQ 590 (split file, getting fixed) / TU 643 / EX 645 fico8, AAoA 3.5 years, one paid charge off on a student card and two small (~$200) apartment collections, 1 recent EX inquiry, household income 100k, 2% util.

The only major card I have on my own is a $300 discover it secured, opened Oct 2017, even though it said I prequalified for the unsecured, I didn’t want to take any chances. Otherwise I’m AU on a 44k BoA and a 14k Amex, have a $750 Comenity retail card.

Prequal links were saying I was qualified for AMEX Cash everyday and everyday cards, chase sapphire preferred, and BoA platinum travel and cash back. Some of my bank card scores are in the 690 range, but I can’t tell if I just can’t get past the mental block of red on my account or if that seems completely off the mark.

What cards have you had good experiences with, and what cards am I likely to get approved for?
11 REPLIES 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Good card w likely approval recommendations?

which pre-qual links?  the chase site showing a sapphire for you would be a pipe dream, there is no way.  if the amex site shows a pre-qual then its prob solid, EDs tend to have higher SLs than the BCEs but you might be able to snag both if you app for the ED first and get a decent limit.  often the same hp.  amex likes thin files, you might be ok with them.  chase not so much.  imo

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you getting a finite APR with your pre-qualification? 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on Amex, I’m not on BoA, and Chase’s website is having technical difficulties so I can’t tell there now.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex and discover pre qual have been solid. I applied for everything Amex pre qual me for[ and it was all approved the same day. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I am on Amex, I’m not on BoA, and Chase’s website is having technical difficulties so I can’t tell there now.

FYI this is the correct link for Chase prequal: https://www.chase.com/prequalified

The other link found on google https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/pre-qualified always shows the technical difficulties message.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh thanks! Though that one is saying “can find no offers, probably because you opted out” (which is true), even though it showed earlier.

Maybe Amex can find it because I have an AU card with them? And if Amex is giving me a finite APR, what does that say about my approval odds?
Message 7 of 12
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Oh thanks! Though that one is saying “can find no offers, probably because you opted out” (which is true), even though it showed earlier.

Maybe Amex can find it because I have an AU card with them? And if Amex is giving me a finite APR, what does that say about my approval odds?

forget chase.  aa is the linkage for sure.  if it were me, and thank your lucky stars you are not lol, I would get either the ed or the bce or both on same day.  the ed makes a nice placeholder for points so you can get a prg or a bgr to add to the till.  the bce is what it is.  strike while the fire is hot and good luck, post your results back here

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you!!

Does anyone know if applying for one or both will help or hurt my Auto scores (660-690)? No auto history to speak of but applying for my first lease soon.

Additionally, can anyone point me toward a comparison of the benefits of charge card vs credit card (especially for those who always PIF anyway), or the ins and outs of getting a business card as an individual?

Thanks again!

**Edited to add: forgot to mention, I also pre-qual for the green card, does anyone know if that’s any good? I don’t know much about charge cards.**
Message 9 of 12
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Great, thank you!!

Does anyone know if applying for one or both will help or hurt my Auto scores (660-690)? No auto history to speak of but applying for my first lease soon.

Additionally, can anyone point me toward a comparison of the benefits of charge card vs credit card (especially for those who always PIF anyway), or the ins and outs of getting a business card as an individual?

Thanks again!

**Edited to add: forgot to mention, I also pre-qual for the green card, does anyone know if that’s any good? I don’t know much about charge cards.**

@Anonymouswrote:
Great, thank you!!

Thanks again!

@Anonymouswrote:
Great, thank you!!

Thanks again!

I have an idea.  don't take it the wrong way.  I would not apply for a card unless you have a reason for needing the card.  if you are bringing up a green card then you have more homework to do.  sorry but that is the truth.  don't waste your pulls on low limit or high apr cards.  in addition your scores seem low even with the negs that you have listed.  do you have an existing car loan/lease in place or any loan?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.