Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good idea to apply for Amex Everyday?

tag
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Good idea to apply for Amex Everyday?

Hello! I've been rebuilding my credit over the past three years with great success. I'd had a Capital One Platinum since time immemorial, and in May of last year I got it "product-changed" to a Quicksilver. That's my main credit card now. In June of last year, I also got a Chase Freedom card, and a Discover IT card. Most recently, I've asked for and received sizable CLIs on the Discover and Quicksilver cards. 

I'm content to continue "gardening," but I'm also considering applying for an Amex Everyday card. I've checked their "prequalified offer site" and I have no "offer" for me, but I know that's a meaningless exercise. My goal in getting the card would be to continue building a positive credit profile, and to get my foot in the door with Amex. There are also a lot of restaurants in Brooklyn, where I live, that only take Amex cards (!!!!!!). 

Anyways, do you think that's a good idea, or with two one-year-old cards, would this be a sizable hit to my average age of account? 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Good idea to apply for Amex Everyday?

@ACG23 wrote:

Hello! I've been rebuilding my credit over the past three years with great success. I'd had a Capital One Platinum since time immemorial, and in May of last year I got it "product-changed" to a Quicksilver. That's my main credit card now. In June of last year, I also got a Chase Freedom card, and a Discover IT card. Most recently, I've asked for and received sizable CLIs on the Discover and Quicksilver cards. 

I'm content to continue "gardening," but I'm also considering applying for an Amex Everyday card. I've checked their "prequalified offer site" and I have no "offer" for me, but I know that's a meaningless exercise. My goal in getting the card would be to continue building a positive credit profile, and to get my foot in the door with Amex. There are also a lot of restaurants in Brooklyn, where I live, that only take Amex cards (!!!!!!). 

Anyways, do you think that's a good idea, or with two one-year-old cards, would this be a sizable hit to my average age of account? 

What is your current AAOA? It will hurt your score but this seems like in 6 months your score will be near what it is now. I don't see a problem...lets see if Nixon tells you to app now.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 21
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@ACG23 wrote:

Why would you say that the Amex prequalifer is meaningless? From what this site says, it's fairly reliable. 

Message 3 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@SecretAzure wrote:

@ACG23 wrote:

What is your current AAOA? It will hurt your score but this seems like in 6 months your score will be near what it is now. I don't see a problem...lets see if Nixon tells you to app now.

What he says.. I see no problem in you apping and getting approved.. Your score is fine to get you the ED card.. I would guess a 3500-5k starting line with that score.. Obviously depending upon income and Utilization and DTI...  You will be approved, I would be shocked if you weren't.  Obviously they base your approval off your EXP score.. I got approved 10k w/approx 670 score and some baddies.. 6 figure income though to offset some of it though.  I say go for it, if that is the card you want.    Your scores will recoup in 6 months if not be higher overall as well.

Edit: also for best initial credlt line try to only have one card reporting when you apply a balance and preferrable less than 10% for best Initial SL and terms

Message 4 of 21
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@ACG23 wrote:

Why would you say that the Amex prequalifer is meaningless? From what this site says, it's fairly reliable. 

Oh, I had heard that having prequalified offers is a good indicator you'll be approved, but not having prequalified offers is not a good indicator that you'll be denied. Also, I've opted out of prescreened offers, so I don't think these sites work for me anymore anyways. 

Oh, and: How would I go about finding my precise average age of account? 

Gardening since May 2015

Message 5 of 21
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@ACG23 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@ACG23 wrote:

Oh, I had heard that having prequalified offers is a good indicator you'll be approved, but not having prequalified offers is not a good indicator that you'll be denied. Also, I've opted out of prescreened offers, so I don't think these sites work for me anymore anyways. 

Oh, and: How would I go about finding my precise average age of account? 

I would have to agree with that. The prequalifier is a good indicator if it finds something for you - not so much if it doesn't.

CreditKarma can give you an AAoA for TU and EQ, but your EX should be similar if all accounts are reporting to all three CRA's. 

Message 6 of 21
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Ah, of course. It puts me at an average age of nearly 5 years. It was seven before these last two applications. That corresponded to about a 10 point drop. I've tried some algebra based on Credit Karma to try to get what my new AAoA would be, but it's not coming out right...

Gardening since May 2015

Message 7 of 21
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much and I would app right now.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 8 of 21
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the advice Smiley Happy. I'll decide which card and when to apply and let you know the results!

Gardening since May 2015

Message 9 of 21
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Glad I am the only one that thought the OP was asking if he should make an app to AMEX each day.  Smiley Tongue

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.