cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Amex Gold in July can I get Plat now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got Amex Gold in July can I get Plat now?

I received my gold card in July instant approval. Any recent I won't be able to get a Platinum now? My scores and profile have improved since my first approval. I'm really considering the Ameriprise Platinum for waived AF and lounge access as I have a few trips planned. Not sure if Amex has issues with carrying multiple charge cards.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Got Amex Gold in July can I get Plat now?

@Anonymous wrote:
I received my gold card in July instant approval. Any recent I won't be able to get a Platinum now? My scores and profile have improved since my first approval. I'm really considering the Ameriprise Platinum for waived AF and lounge access as I have a few trips planned. Not sure if Amex has issues with carrying multiple charge cards.

you can have one each of the charge cards, personally I would wait till January to appy, you will have nearly 6 months history and get a full year of backdating goodness.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 7
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

I had my PRG for about a month and a week before I applied for the Platinum and was instantly approved. Usually the criteria is the same with all charge cards and if you were approved for one then you should be good for the second one. Just as long as you're willing to pay a $450 AF you should be good.
Message 3 of 7
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
I had my PRG for about a month and a week before I applied for the Platinum and was instantly approved. Usually the criteria is the same with all charge cards and if you were approved for one then you should be good for the second one. Just as long as you're willing to pay a $450 AF you should be good.

I may be doing a lot of travel next year and would prefer to have the Platinum for the 0% foreign transaction fee and benefits that come along with it. Can I do a product change or do I need to wait a certain amount of time?

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 4 of 7
Berk
Established Contributor

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

I may be doing a lot of travel next year and would prefer to have the Platinum for the 0% foreign transaction fee and benefits that come along with it. Can I do a product change or do I need to wait a certain amount of time?

If you may be doing a lot of traveling next year then you may want to wait until then to apply for the card. That $450.00 annual fee is pretty steep. Will your foreign transaction fees go over that amount? If so, then the card is worth it. If not, then it isn't. I do not believe the fee is waived the first year.

Message 5 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Berk wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

If you may be doing a lot of traveling next year then you may want to wait until then to apply for the card. That $450.00 annual fee is pretty steep. Will your foreign transaction fees go over that amount? If so, then the card is worth it. If not, then it isn't. I do not believe the fee is waived the first year.

FTF's are the least valuable AMEX Platinum benefits, $200 in airline credits, $100 TSA global entry credit,  and then Lounge access.  You may also want to consider the ameriprise platinum card with first year AF waived, IIRC. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 7
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Berk wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

FTF's are the least valuable AMEX Platinum benefits, $200 in airline credits, $100 TSA global entry credit,  and then Lounge access.  You may also want to consider the ameriprise platinum card with first year AF waived, IIRC. 

@Berk, I wont make any decisions until January so I can utilise back date. But honestly I would prefer a PC because I dont want to open another card with a AF especially one so similar.

@jamesdwi, You're right about the FTF, I doubt I will spend a substancial amount to make up for it, though I plan on using the airline credits and to get the Global entry credit. I also plan on using the lounge access, I may be going to Italy and several other places but nothing i set in stone.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.