cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Citi Bank Asking for My Home Phone Bill...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Citi Bank Asking for My Home Phone Bill...

Hi everyone, recently I applied citibank doube cash credit card because I checked on their website saying I was pre-qualified. After I applied, it showed the "need further review" message. So I called their back door number and the rep told me they will send me a letter to verify my address.

So today I got the letter which asks me to mail three things to them ---- a home telephone bill, a credit card or utility bill and a proof of income. I am fine with the last two, but I have cancelled my home phone number since 2014. I just don't need a home telephone any more.

May I know what should I do next? Is it possilbe to convince them to approve my application without the home phone bill? Thank you very much for your help!

FYI, I am ahead to garden. I have two Capital one cards with $1000 each and the Apple Rewards card with $2000. I just finished the first step of rebuilding my credit and really don't want to waste this hard pull on my credit report.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Citi Bank asking for my home phone bill...

Do you have a cell phone bill? If so send that. If not ask them what else can you send? A lot of people no longer have home phones so I would assume you would not be the first person that wasn't able to produce a phone bill.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply!

I signed up for electronic billing statements so I guess I have to print my cellphone bill from the website....

But Citibank asked for an "orignial biil not a copy".

I just can't understand why they are asking for it.......

Message 3 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Citi Bank Asking for My Home Phone Bill...

Call them and explain your situation. I once had to send a bank statement to discover but didn't have it and a screenshot was acceptable. Two different banks and scenarios but my point is there's a solution to everything these days. They just want to confirm your identity the old fashioned way for some reason, it happens sometimes.
Message 4 of 9
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Re: HELP! Citi Bank Asking for My Home Phone Bill...

When I applied for my Citi DC card last month, they also needed to verify where I live. I know a cell phone bill is NOT accepted. I sent them my directv bill, my gas bill, even your electricity bill will do. It needs to have your name on it and address. Also I sent them a copy of my driver license that shows my current address as I did move not to long ago that is why they needed to verify this. Don't worry just call and ask them what else they would like, I know they usually require two things, and in your case the other items they asked for.

Message 5 of 9
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I signed up for electronic billing statements so I guess I have to print my cellphone bill from the website....

Yeah, they would never get an original of anything from me. You should also be able to send them a copy of your insurance statement, Cable/Sat bill, etc.

They are asking for it because they want to make sure that you are who you claim that you are and are not someone posing as you trying to defraud them. Have you moved recently, do you receive mail at two different addresses, have you moved a few times in the past few years?Do the CRAs have two different addresses listed for you? Stuff like that will cause them to want to verify. They will not put a credit card in the mail to you without knowing that it is going to you. They are doing it for their good as well as yours.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you moved recently? Or perhaps a discrepancy in the address listed in your credit file?

Message 7 of 9
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Also don't send stuff in the mail, ask them for fax number and fax it in if you can. It will be much faster. When I faxed stuff over to them in the morning, I called them around noon and they said they already received it, they put me on hold and came back with good news haha Smiley Happy Just put your number on all documents.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much everyone!

Yes you were all right. I did open a mailbox recently. Now I understand.

I called them again today and asked for their fax number, and the rep told me that I can actually pick two from the three documents they required and fax to them.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.