Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanscom Federal Credit Union is the pits

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Hanscom Federal Credit Union is the pits

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an fyi.  I joined this CU based on comments by others on this site.  Applied for a credit card and after initially speaking with a rep who pulled the credit, asked me a couple of questions about store cards, said everything looked good, good utilization nothing maxed out and the payment history was good, score etc.  She told me final approval comes from another person and I would get a call in 24 hours.  48 hours later I called and left a message for the loan department.  This morning almost 72 hours later, I receive a call from someone who just spent at least 10 minutes lecturing me about my inquiries over the last 2 years of which I pointed out a good portion of those are for our car loans and she said all of my inquiries but a couple are for "credit cards" which I know isn't true.  Then she told me my score was 625 and I told her that is not correct, I can see what my score is and they must be using a different scoring model than most because I know for a fact, that is not correct.  So then I got to listen to her tell me that they pull Experian like others and see the same score.  She also went on about living off of credit.  I DO NOT live off of credit.  Just because I have more than a few cards does NOT mean I live off of credit.  At this point I knew I wasn't getting the card so I reminded her that we make almost 300k a year and I don't need to live off of credit and she agreed.  Ridiculous.

Needless to say I didn't get the card so I told her I wanted to close out all accounts I had opened and apparently to do that I have to send her a written letter.  Again ridiculous.  I'm not upset about not getting the card, I don't care for the customer service, I'm upset at being treated so rudely and without any regard whatsoever.  I get that I have a lot of inquires.  1/3 of which are falling off over the next 2 months so they are not particularly recent but she said I should not have more than 10 in 2 years.  But the score she gave me was way off.  I looked at the score models and it appears they pull FICO score 2.  I really resented the 10 minute lecture as well.  If you want to deny the card, deny the card.  If you want to provide information to help someone with why the card is being denied to make sure they understand, then do it in a kind, considerate, and professional manner not brow beating someone and making them feel worthless.  And if your customer offers information back, they should try listening whether or not they agree.  

I'm done with credit unions.

I'm also very dissatisfied with Hanscom's credit policies. And I feel that the person you spoke to was completely incompetent.

They pull FICO EX 2 btw.

But there are plenty of credit unions which do not act this way at all. E.g., Penfed, NFCU, Alliant CU, Affinity FCU, Langley FCU, and plenty of others. No reason to tar them with Hanscom's brush.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do not base our credit decisions on an applicant’s FICO score, but rather analyze debts, income, payment history, number of recent inquiries and, in the case of secured loans, collateral. Credit scores are only used to determine the annual percentage rate that will apply to a loan or credit card. Mr. Sprague received your letter and personally investigated this reported incident. He is sending his response to you by mail today.

Respectfully,

Hanscom FCU Director of Communications

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

We do not base our credit decisions on an applicant’s FICO score, but rather analyze debts, income, payment history, number of recent inquiries and, in the case of secured loans, collateral. Credit scores are only used to determine the annual percentage rate that will apply to a loan or credit card. Mr. Sprague received your letter and personally investigated this reported incident. He is sending his response to you by mail today.

Respectfully,

Hanscom FCU Director of Communications

Frankly, there is no excuse in my opinion for the way I was treated.  None.  And as you can see from other responses, I'm not the only one.  To have a branch manager in charge that knows nothing about scoring models is ridiculous and feels perfectly free to treat people with such disrepect.  Keep your credit union.  

As I said, I dodge a bullet.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to post that while things went the way they went with Hanscom, I went ahead and worked with PenFed to reach the goals I was trying to accomplish with Hanscom and all I can say is PenFed is awesome.  Just love them - their customer service and treatment of members is above all others.  So alls well that ends well.  So glad Hanscom pushed me further into the arms PenFed!  Thanks Hanscom branch manager at the McLean branch for treating me so poorly, thank you corporate for not being responsive to me, thank you for joining Myfico just to defensively respond and NOT apologize for the way I was treated.  You all pushed me right into a fantastic credit union, PenFed.  I will never forget you, Hanscom, for doing that to me.

Message 14 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just a PSA/friendly reminder that it's not permitted to put any personal info into a post on myFICO.  This includes your own full name and/or contact info.

Per the Terms of Service the following is prohibited:

• Any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person not considered a "public figure", including, but not limited to, full name, address, phone number, email address, social media accounts (Facebook, Linkedin, etc.)

If you're unsure if something is permitted or not feel free to reach out to any moderator or community leader.

--UncleB

myFICO Moderator

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be interested in hearing what the letter has to say if you wouldn't mind sharing the fine points with us!!??!!

Message 16 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Glad Penfed came through for you OpSmiley Happy

Just goes to show, we the solicitors of credit aren't the only ones to read myFico lolSmiley Wink

Also, i know credit score isnt everything, but man thats kind of depressing to read our score is just used to determine apr etc. Tell that to the 750+ who still scores a 20% plus apr from Sync lol.
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Glad Penfed came through for you OpSmiley Happy

Just goes to show, we the solicitors of credit aren't the only ones to read myFico lolSmiley Wink

Also, i know credit score isnt everything, but man thats kind of depressing to read our score is just used to determine apr etc. Tell that to the 750+ who still scores a 20% plus apr from Sync lol.

Yes I agree.  IMO, not much makes sense with them.  I do love Penfed!  So much nicer to deal with.  I have not received a letter from Hanscom CEO.  The only thing I have received is a welcome letter (haha), a denial letter, and today I received a check for my deposits back.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no letter??!!??
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got the letter.  It says the same thing the Director of Communications posted with the addition that he agrees with the analysis and conclusion.  Then he goes on to state that the branch manager is a respected and valued employee of the credit union and what I described in my letter does not "comport" with the observations and interactions he has had with her.  <Interesting considering he is in MA and she is in VA> nor with her supervisor.

No apology.  Obviously he doesn't believe me.  But he should have in my opinion at least said, he was sorry that I felt the way I did blah blah.  The only thing that came close was "disappointed that you were not satisfied".  He noted that he closed my membership.

The sad thing is she did do exactly what I put in my letter and in my post, actually I left some of the negative interaction out in the post.  I didn't embellish it at all but he is not interested in anything I have to say or my experience.    I think it's interesting that because her supervisor has not seen that before means she must never do things like that.....I don't know too many people that will act that way to a customer in front of their supervisor.  She knows she did it, I know she did it.  After this calms down, she will do it again.

All in all, it is what it is.  His choice to believe her hands down is ultimately his problem.  All I can say is everyone beware!  This is Hanscom FCU, the McLean Virginia MITRE branch, and this is how I was treated.   Contacting the CEO is a waste of time.

PenFed is awesome.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.