Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

How Inquiry Sensitive is BOA?

I have no banking relationship with them, but am interested in beginning one with one of their credit cards (not sure which one yet).

Inquiries:  TU 11, EX 15, EQ 5 (all of them within the last 6 months)

FICO:  TU 727  EX 746  EQ 710

UTIL:  Roughly 8% of 105k open credit (AmEx, Synchrony, Chase, Capital One, Comenity)

NEG:  1 Charge off only on my Equifax report (falling off August 2015)

INCOME:  85k

After going through as many posts as possible, it looks like BOA might be "iffy" when it comes to Inquiries (?)  Are there any other peculiar nuances about this bank that I should know about before even applying with them (or maybe not applying at all)?

Starting FICOs: (Oct. 2014): 560s-620s
Current FICOs: (June 2015): EQ 709 TU 717 EXP 727
Utilization:12% Total Credit Line Available: $153,950
AmEx PRG & ED, Capital One QS & Prestige & Venture, MACU Visa, CITI Prestige, BOA 123 & BOA Alaska Airlines, Barclay Apple Rewards, Care Credit, eBates, BP Visa
Valued Contributor

Re: How Inquiry Sensitive is BOA?

I had zero previous relationship with BOA. Had 5 TU, 10 EQ, and 11 EX hard inquiries within the last month. All my scores in the low 700s. Way more baddies than you. And my income is slightly lower than yours and was instantly approved for $5000. 

| Gardening goal: Jun 2016 Baby Steps | Sep 2015 scores EQ 639 TU 678 EX 653 | In the garden since 7/24/15 | Util 21% |
Regular Contributor

Vivacious10 wrote:

I had zero previous relationship with BOA. Had 5 TU, 10 EQ, and 11 EX hard inquiries within the last month. All my scores in the low 700s. Way more baddies than you. And my income is slightly lower than yours and was instantly approved for $5000. 

That is reassuring!  Which product did you apply for, and did you receive an instant approval?

AmEx PRG & ED, Capital One QS & Prestige & Venture, MACU Visa, CITI Prestige, BOA 123 & BOA Alaska Airlines, Barclay Apple Rewards, Care Credit, eBates, BP Visa
Valued Contributor

The BOA cash rewards. Yes. I applied online and was approved within 60 seconds.

| Gardening goal: Jun 2016 Baby Steps | Sep 2015 scores EQ 639 TU 678 EX 653 | In the garden since 7/24/15 | Util 21% |
Regular Contributor

Vivacious10 wrote:

Thanks for the info!  It definitely helps me make a more informed decision! Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

nmuKev wrote:

Vivacious10 wrote:

Thanks for the info!  It definitely helps me make a more informed decision! Smiley Happy

Worse case scenario (if denied) and if your profile support it, you can always ask for a reconsideration.  They typically pull TU or EX.

Valued Contributor

I don't think they are at all.  I get emails, letters, etc. from them all the time.  I bank with them but since my Nov app spree, I just don't want to get another card right now.  Only gardening for me.  Go for it!

FICOS: EQ-812 TU-811 EX-818 Goal - 840-850 Across The Board
Total Credit Lines - 506K Gardening....
"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my destiny" Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

Sandibeach22 wrote:

I don't think they are at all.  I get emails, letters, etc. from them all the time.  I bank with them but since my Nov app spree, I just don't want to get another card right now.  Only gardening for me.  Go for it!

You guys are certainly tempting me!  If I do recon, I hope they aren't as mean as the Barclay's analysts :/

BoA has never been inq sensitive for me. They did raise a concern about new accts once on a reconsideration call but they still approved me. I would say Citi and Comenity are the most sensitive to inquiries than the others.
Regular Contributor

B335is wrote:
BoA has never been inq sensitive for me. They did raise a concern about new accts once on a reconsideration call but they still approved me. I would say Citi and Comenity are the most sensitive to inquiries than the others.

Good to know.  And, I agree with the last part... especially citi!  Any BOA product you'd highly recommend? 

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.