Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How lenient is AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How lenient is AMEX?

I currently have 3 total accounts. 2 credit, 1 loan.

The loan is a $3500 student loan from 04/16 that I have not started paying yet, and won't have to for about 2 years.

Other two are:

$200 Capital One secured platinum 7/16

$500 Capital One Platinum 7/16

I would like to apply for a credit card soon that preferably has point rewards. What do you guys recommend? 

I was looking at the AMEX SPG as the gold status would be good for me as I'll be staying at a Marriot hotel soon. 

Or the AMEX PRG for the bonus points, but that is a charge card.

According to CreditKarma my EX FAKO is 640 and TU 633

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: How lenient is AMEX?

From what I have heard, their charge cards are easier to get but of course they set an internal limit and that may be low if your scores are low. Their credit cards are little harder to get and most recommend you get Delta car. If I recall it correctly, SPG would mean at least 720 score to qualify for the card. Of course as with everything YMMV
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used there pre qualify site and it came back with 2 cards 3 months ago, the everyday and the blue card, I got approved for the blue shockingly and I had 3 cap one cards with balances, that being said I have had it 3 months and asked for a limit increase as I read that's when and I got denied.
Message 3 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The loan is a $3500 student loan from 04/16 that I have not started paying yet, and won't have to for about 2 years.

Other two are:

I would like to apply for a credit card soon that preferably has point rewards. What do you guys recommend? 

I was looking at the AMEX SPG as the gold status would be good for me as I'll be staying at a Marriot hotel soon. 

First off, AMEX pulls EXperian. You can't get a FAKO score for them from CreditKarma either - they only offer EQiufax and TransUnion..

You might want to find out what your Ex score actually is - Credit Check Total has a $1 trial that will show you what it is, I believe!

They seem to be approving people with fairly clean reports, with scores over 650/660...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@darwin_wins wrote:
From what I have heard, their charge cards are easier to get but of course they set an internal limit and that may be low if your scores are low. Their credit cards are little harder to get and most recommend you get Delta car. If I recall it correctly, SPG would mean at least 720 score to qualify for the card. Of course as with everything YMMV

I was approved for SPG with a 672 or something like that

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do their pre-approval, they seem to be good with providing what you would be eligible for. I had a 640 score when I got the Amex BCP, and after that I was able to get the ED and now the PRG. I've heard they are more lenient with their charge cards, but I only use my PRG for smaller things just in case a what if I can't pay it all off issue comes around (I PIF all my cards but you never know). 

Message 6 of 11
YellowBanana
New Contributor

Amex approved me with an Experian FICO score of 664

I was approved for AMEX Everyday Card- $2000 Limit and AMEX Everyday BLUE Card $5000 Limit

I currently have one medical collection and 3 charge off accounts showing on Experian. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Other two are:

First off, AMEX pulls EXperian. You can't get a FAKO score for them from CreditKarma either - they only offer EQiufax and TransUnion..

You might want to find out what your Ex score actually is - Credit Check Total has a $1 trial that will show you what it is, I believe!

They seem to be approving people with fairly clean reports, with scores over 650/660...

Or they can get their EX Fico score from creditscorecard.com for free.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband did apply when his credit file was light, and he had some lates from two years ago. His EX FICO was 650 then and was approved for a BCE for $1,000.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Some Data Points 

BCE- Approval at 685 8k Starting 

SPG- Apporval at 743 8k 

ED - Approval at 721 -6k

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.