cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait for CLI after paying down BofA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should I wait for CLI after paying down BofA?

I have three BofA cards, BofA Platinum $15k, BofA Travel $15k, and BofA Cash $11k.  

I did BT to the limit on the Travel and Cash this month, and the Platinum has a $8k balance.   I should be able to pay them all off next month, and I'm wondering how long after paying them down I need to wait to ask for CLI or apply for a new BofA card.  I want to get one of their 0% balance transfer cards. 

Logic tells me they may not approve me for anything right away after paying down huge balances....but the way these things work isn't always logical!  (at least not to me) ha ha .  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long should I wait for CLI after paying down BofA?

How long have you had each card?  Just a question if you already did a BT with them and can pay it off why would you want another 0% BT card?  I like to keep those 0% offers like an ace in the hole in case something big comes up.  There is no hard limit on how long you should wait but I would wait unitl they at least are reporting as paid off.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always ask for a CLI when I pay off an account.

In the past three months it has worked 14 out of the 14 CC that I requested a CLI. The reason for the then other four: one is going away next month (no more CLI), one was a PC (more rewards and a lower APR), one I thought was too new and I seldom use, and one I had received a CLI just prior to my new CLI journey.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 

@Anonymouswrote:

How long have you had each card?  

BofA Platinum $15k, Opened 1/23/17

BofA Travel $15k, Opened 8/30/17

BofA Cash $11k , Opened 8/30/17

@AnonymousTXBBQDude wrote:

Just a question if you already did a BT with them and can pay it off why would you want another 0% BT card?  

I'm trying something that's probably a little (very?) unorthodox.   Group A (3 cards) cut on the 14th and Group B (3 cards) cut on the 22nd.  I paid off Group B and my score went up.   I'm going to payoff group A with BT from group B tomorrow.  So for one week my utilization will be 16% instead of 32%.   During that week my scores should shoot way up and I will apply for a some cards.   You are totally right about keeping an ACE in the hole 0% BT card, didn't have enough foresight.  I need to carry some balances for a few more months so I'm hoping to get a 0% BT offer when I App this week.   This is definitely in the "don't try this at home" category, but I have money coming in soon so I'll be fine no matter what happens.

Also, Corpcrmgr... great tip!!!  Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.