cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does having one Amex help getting another?

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

How much does having one Amex help getting another?

The other day I was approved for the American Express Hilton card...my first Amex card after multiple apps (but my first app for the Hilton).

With my EX (whom they pulled) score of 653, that report being the only report still showing some old baddies...I was pretty suprised at the approval!

Anyway, what I REALLY want is the Amex SPG.  I thought I was gonna have to wait until late 2016 when my EX report should finally be clean.

Buuuut....now that I am in with Amex....do you think, maybe, in, say, 6 months time, I could go for the SPG?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: How much does having one Amex help getting another?

@toothgrind3r wrote:

The other day I was approved for the American Express Hilton card...my first Amex card after multiple apps (but my first app for the Hilton).

With my EX (whom they pulled) score of 653, that report being the only report still showing some old baddies...I was pretty suprised at the approval!

Anyway, what I REALLY want is the Amex SPG.  I thought I was gonna have to wait until late 2016 when my EX report should finally be clean.

Buuuut....now that I am in with Amex....do you think, maybe, in, say, 6 months time, I could go for the SPG?

Two months after I got in with Amex, I was able to get a charge card and an ED card on a single HP and three months later, I got approved for a BCE. I think you can wait sooner than 6 months. The key is building up your internal score with them.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

I got my Gold Delta card in June or July of 2013, with a $2k limit and a 19% APR. I still had that exact setup when I applied for the Delta Platinum card in February, and was instantly approved for $10k and a 17.24% APR. And a $175 AF. Smiley Tongue I got that second card but have since closed it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 7
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Ah, thanks for the info, that gives me hope Smiley Happy

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would see if you get your 3x CLI at 61 days and if you do I think you would be good to apply for the SPG.

At least now if you get declined it will be sp!

Message 5 of 7
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would see if you get your 3x CLI at 61 days and if you do I think you would be good to apply for the SPG.

Oh?  Declines are a soft pull?  All the time?

Message 6 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Funny thing about that. I didn't get the full 3x CLI on my Delta card but got a counteroffer to double it and then not too long after, I apped for the Amex ED and Green cards and got those with no problem. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.