Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do pre-quals change ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often do pre-quals change ?

How often do pre-quals change on credit card company's websites? For example, if I check today and there are no pre-quals, could it change by tomorrow or is there a time frame 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often do pre-quals change ?

it depends when they do a SP of your credit, and when that info changes. Some lenders SP people every few months, some do it when you click to check for a prequal.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed pre quals for me change VERY slowly. It sucks..
Message 3 of 10
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

It could change at anytime depending on if they are using an old soft pull, if something changes in your profile, etc...

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 4 of 10
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Vegas4Play wrote:

It could change at anytime depending on if they are using an old soft pull, if something changes in your profile, etc...

I, for one, am convinced Cap1 uses old data on softpulls. I had a Cap1 card for a year and a half and was still getting the same subprime pre-approvals on their page. So I gave it the middle finger and turned in a cold app for the Venture. Then got approved.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How often do pre-quals change on credit card company's websites? For example, if I check today and there are no pre-quals, could it change by tomorrow or is there a time frame 

There are 2 factors... one is your credit profile and two is when they pull(ed) that profile.  If the creditor doesn't SP you again for 2-3 months from when you checked for a pre-qual and you check again you're going to get the same result.  And, even if they DO SP you again, if nothing (or very little) has changed with respect to your profile there's no reason really that you'd receive a pre-qual. 

Bottom line is that if you aren't pre-qualified for a certain card it's because your profile doesn't fit for that card... so what you need to work on is improving the profile.  Then, once it's better, you need them to SP you again so that they have the updated (better) data to make their pre-qual decision on. 

As stated above by someone, this could be a very slow process especially if you don't have significant (positive) changes to your credit profile.

Message 6 of 10
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

I have no idea if they use up to date pulls or not.  I do know that every time they have no offers for me but I've received multiple prequals in the mail for Chase Freedom, CSP, BOA rewards and Citi.  In the garden right now so not pulling the trigger on any but I literally do the prequal pages every week (sometimes just for the hell of it) and they still say no offers.  The two that I did do before going in the garden were instant approvals yet NO offer on prequal pages.  

Message 7 of 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Some folks just don't have luck with pre-quals.  I've read of people on here getting them, acting on them, and then being denied.  For that reason I put very little faith in them.  And also, in my experience, I've never pre-qual'd on CapOne but picked up (2) VentureOne's, a QuickSilver, and a regular Venture all while the pre-qual showed nothing.  This was done over the time period of about 18 months.  Same thing for me an BoA.  Never got anything on their pre-qual but picked up the CashRewards and TravelRewards within days of each other.  Bottom line, know your profile, doing a little homework here on the forums of the card you're interested in, and make an informed decision.  Best of luck to you!

Message 8 of 10
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are 2 factors... one is your credit profile and two is when they pull(ed) that profile.  If the creditor doesn't SP you again for 2-3 months from when you checked for a pre-qual and you check again you're going to get the same result.  And, even if they DO SP you again, if nothing (or very little) has changed with respect to your profile there's no reason really that you'd receive a pre-qual. 

Bottom line is that if you aren't pre-qualified for a certain card it's because your profile doesn't fit for that card... so what you need to work on is improving the profile.  Then, once it's better, you need them to SP you again so that they have the updated (better) data to make their pre-qual decision on. 

As stated above by someone, this could be a very slow process especially if you don't have significant (positive) changes to your credit profile.

I disagree. I didnt prequal for the venture but was approved after I cold apped.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 9 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@jawbrkr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree. I didnt prequal for the venture but was approved after I cold apped.

Couldn't agree more. Just because you are not pre-qualified DOES NOT mean your profile doesn't fit that card. I was not pre-qualified for ANY of my cards besides one I think.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.