Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I WANT AN AMEX CARD!

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: I WANT AN AMEX CARD!

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going to call and recon today but it was closed due to Veteran's Day. I wonder if by calling I can still get approved? 

You have invested the HP. Calling now, to leverage that HP and see where it goes, to get some direct feedback from underwriting, is your best option. Worst case scenario, you still don't have a card, and you have still spent only one HP. Best case scenario, you get the card now.

Did you call yet? Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going to call and recon today but it was closed due to Veteran's Day. I wonder if by calling I can still get approved? 

You have invested the HP. Calling now, to leverage that HP and see where it goes, to get some direct feedback from underwriting, is your best option. Worst case scenario, you still don't have a card, and you have still spent only one HP. Best case scenario, you get the card now.

I did called the backdoor number and they referred me to the new credit applications department and they simply told me that they can submit my application for review but that it would be another hard credit pull. I decided not to. Even with a good score like mine, they say I'm a high credit risk when i have no baddies just new credit....they want to maybe wait to see how my new credit grows. I'll just wait Smiley Sad

Message 32 of 37
datrucking210
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did called the backdoor number and they referred me to the new credit applications department and they simply told me that they can submit my application for review but that it would be another hard credit pull. I decided not to. Even with a good score like mine, they say I'm a high credit risk when i have no baddies just new credit....they want to maybe wait to see how my new credit grows. I'll just wait Smiley Sad

And I agree, let your accounts age a bit. 

I've been denied 3 times by Amex in the last year. First and second time cited my BK as the main reason. Once that dropped off I tried again and denied due to too many new accounts and inqueries. I just need to stop apping for at least 6-12 months and I should get in. I'm almost in I just need to be patient but me a patience don't get along so it'll be a struggle but its for the best. Good luck!!!

Mid 500's Spring 2014 As of 06/07/16 EQ-700^ TU-738^ EX-697v In the Garden 5/28/16! Goals 750 across the board end of 2016
AU:
Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@datrucking210 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And I agree, let your accounts age a bit. 

I've been denied 3 times by Amex in the last year. First and second time cited my BK as the main reason. Once that dropped off I tried again and denied due to too many new accounts and inqueries. I just need to stop apping for at least 6-12 months and I should get in. I'm almost in I just need to be patient but me a patience don't get along so it'll be a struggle but its for the best. Good luck!!!

Omg! I agree! I hate waiting! I assume thats the best way to really let your credit score shine but I just really want the card now! lol. 

Message 34 of 37
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Who Does'nt?

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear ya. AMEX has done a good job since 1958 of building the mystic and prestige of "Membership". I've only ever been AU on one, (got some great prizes back in the "AMEX Wish List" days. AU is no longer a possibility. And I have a BK7 discharge just shy of 2 years ago.

But, on the plus side,  I've never burned AMEX, my scores are 700-ish across the board and rising. The last of my 3 baddies (Other than BK7) drops off EQ this week--no more lates, collections, charge-offs), my AAOA is 7-ish years, with oldest at 21 years. My income in $100k+. So I'm hopeful.

Message 36 of 37
wa3more
Established Contributor

Amex seems to have lost its way and no longer carries the clout and prestige it once did, especially since I got it in 1981.

I had an Amex card for 30 years and lost it when I fell behind like many in the 2009 depression. They refused to help me when I needed it and now I don't care. I have a credit union card but my son has a Chase Sapphire which is better than any product, by far, that Amex has. Also, many merchants don't accept Amex.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.