Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am only 19 Is this why I can't...?

tag
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I am only 19 Is this why I can't...?

Ok so I am only 19. I am beyond frustrated I never get prequals online and my scores are over 740! Is it because I am not 21 or older!? Also is this why I get no CC prequals in the mail? I get loan prequals from Discover constantly. But other than that just some crappy student first bank prequal that looks so old and like trash! I want Amex, BoA, Citi, Chase, Wells Fargo, Us Bank, ETC prequals in the mail! Not that I would apply I just want to feel wanted by these banks! Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I am only 19 Is this why I can't...?

Why do you want them if you aren't going to ever apply? But to answer your question are you opted out by chance?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

Lol ok should rephrase just a bit I would only bite at a good card offer. And no I am opted in. Idk why I do not get them unless you have to be 21 or older.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really shouldn't worry so much about pre qualified offers.  They're no guarantee of approval and certainly not needed to get approved for a card.  See the list of cards in my signature?  Not a single one was based on a pre approval.  Eveytime I check nothing shows and I don't worry about it.  If your credit file and scores are good enough you'll get approved whether you're pre approved or not.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

I think you might need to be over 21 to get a prequal.  I've read some TOS and saw you've got to be at least 19 for some states to even apply. You've hit the minimum age to apply.  Research what you want and go for it!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP I understand that you want those "tempting, but don't really need another" mailers... but with those cards in your siggy you should be all-set with credit for a long time. You have some amazing cards, especially for being so young. Just keep working hard. Show those cards great use & they will grow more over time. ☺
Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

You really shouldn't worry so much about pre qualified offers.  They're no guarantee of approval and certainly not needed to get approved for a card.  See the list of cards in my signature?  Not a single one was based on a pre approval.  Eveytime I check nothing shows and I don't worry about it.  If your credit file and scores are good enough you'll get approved whether you're pre approved or not.

This exactly OP. 

Also, keep in mind, it's ossible that your credit profile hasn't really matured for a variety of lenders to be throwing these offers.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Message 7 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes I believe part of it has to do with you not being 21 yet.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

Ok so I am only 19. I am beyond frustrated I never get prequals online and my scores are over 740! Is it because I am not 21 or older!? Also is this why I get no CC prequals in the mail? I get loan prequals from Discover constantly. But other than that just some crappy student first bank prequal that looks so old and like trash! I want Amex, BoA, Citi, Chase, Wells Fargo, Us Bank, ETC prequals in the mail! Not that I would apply I just want to feel wanted by these banks! Smiley Sad

As was said, pre-quals really mean nothing.

I've never been denied a card and I don't get pre-qual'd for anything. This is 24 credit accounts in.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

u have great cards for being 19. u will be in great shape if you keep utilization low, PIF as much as possible..... i am impressed!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.