Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I apped for Barclay Apple against better advice [UPDATED!]

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I apped for Barclay Apple against better advice [UPDATED!]

I feel like if I'm going to get the best advice from you all, I should disclose the bad along with the good, so... confession time... I apped for the Barclay Apple card after you all told me not to.

You were right.  It was a denial.  It did go pending for a few hours, which gave me false hope.

I really shouldn't have apped this soon, and I don't know why I did it when I wasn't looking to make a purchase this soon anyway.

Actually now that I'm writing this, I do remember my rationale... I have a bunch of Amex accounts that are about to report for the first time (second statement) and I wanted to try to head them off.

But... now that I took the HP and the app is in their system... I'm thinking I may be able to salvage a recon if I offer to move some CL from my CashForward.  Anyone know how long I have with Barclay to do a recon?  I'd actually like to put it off a couple weeks if I can.

I'm going to app for a Delta card next month and then I swear I'm done for at least the rest of the year.

UPDATE: Got a verification request letter!  See below...

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I apped for Barclay Apple against better advice

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I feel like if I'm going to get the best advice from you all, I should disclose the bad along with the good, so... confession time... I apped for the Barclay Apple card after you all told me not to.

You were right.  It was a denial.  It did go pending for a few hours, which gave me false hope.

I really shouldn't have apped this soon, and I don't know why I did it when I wasn't looking to make a purchase this soon anyway.

Actually now that I'm writing this, I do remember my rationale... I have a bunch of Amex accounts that are about to report for the first time (second statement) and I wanted to try to head them off.

But... now that I took the HP and the app is in their system... I'm thinking I may be able to salvage a recon if I offer to move some CL from my CashForward.  Anyone know how long I have with Barclay to do a recon?  I'd actually like to put it off a couple weeks if I can.

I'm going to app for a Delta card next month and then I swear I'm done for at least the rest of the year.

should be 30 days for recon

Message 2 of 16
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Sometimes it does not matter how good the advice is. There are times we just say **bleep** it all and throw caution to the wind.

That can be a good thing at times, while in others it can be a “I told you so” experience. At the end of the day, the worst it will cost you is a hard pull. It shows on one bureau for two years and impacts your score for at most a year. In a couple of months, you won’t even notice it anymore.

So don’t worry about it too much. I’m personally going to be putting my iMac Pro that will come out in Dec on my CSP and then will BT it to a 0% APR card before I pay it off in 90 days.
Message 3 of 16
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Ooo I bleeped myself!
Message 4 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You probably have 30 days to recon, IIRC.

Barclay is tough on recon. No harm in trying since you took the HP anyway, but their analysts are very tough on lots of recent accounts/inquiries and it's usually hard or impossible to overturn that kind of denial (assuming that's why you were denied).

Like I said, no harm in trying, and the Apple card has probably lower underwriting standards than some of their other products. I just wouldn't expect too much. I don't see how waiting to recon makes any difference; they should be using the same HP for 30 days so the report they look at is going to be the same whether you call now or later.

Message 5 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I wanted to wait because the 0% interest offer is only for the first 30 days and I wanted to wait a bit before buying. I have some balances I want to zero out first.

And yes I'm pretty sure they declined me because I didn't wait long enough after my previous app. I got declined for an Arrival+ last month as well so I know how their recon can be. I'm hoping they'll be a little more lenient for this one and that it'll help that I have some CL to contribute this time.
Message 6 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

UPDATE!

I got the letter in the mail, thinking I would get a reason for denial and FICO score.  To my surprise, it was a request for verification!

Basically they want me to send them a copy of my SS card, license/ID, and a utility bill.

Is this something I can take care of by calling, or would I definitely need to send this stuff in?  I don't want to mail copies of those things if I don't have to.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call them and ask if you can verify over the phone? They should be understanding about not wanting to put those documents through USPS. 

Message 8 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: I apped for Barclay Apple against better advice [UPDATED!]

Called this morning. They insisted I mail the copies.

I wanted to put some time before making the purchase so I was going to wait to do a recon anyway... so this buys me some time.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I apped for Barclay Apple against better advice [UPDATED!]

Why were you advised against applying for the Apple Visa? I'm about to apply for it myself...wrote a post asking for advice on applications page no one has responded yet :/

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/should-I-apply-Barclays-Apple-Visa/m-p/5076...

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.