Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did it - Barclay Rewards Approval

tag
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Re: I did it - Barclay Rewards Approval

@CharityV wrote:

Thank you everyone! And based on advice I received in a previous thread, I also went ahead and had the DH apply for the same card (his own, instead of adding him as an AU to mine), and he was just approved for a $1500 CL. Smiley Happy So now we will each have access to our TU CR each month, which was the real draw for me with this card. I am super excited.

I have heard of people reconning right after approval for higher CL immediately...is it worth it to try this? What do they typically look for?

Our goal is to get into an AMEX Skymiles card as soon as possible. (We would actually use the miles, husband flies Delta exclusively for an international business trip every year). We aren't there yet, but I feel like this is a solid step down the road to get there. Smiley Happy

Congrats to you & your DH!!

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 11 of 17
amakol
Regular Contributor

@CharityV wrote:

Ha ha! Okay. So, the husband already has a Chase card, on which I am an AU. (Rewards card from 2005).  It's the card we JUST paid the balance down on, from 90% utilization down to less than 20%. But I looked at the cards people typically recommend alongside the Barclays, because I want at least 2 cc of my very own to garden with. Between the Discover IT and the Chase Freedom, I liked the Freedom best, so I checked their pre-qualification, and it did give me the pre-approved message. (To my surprise). I waffled, but went ahead and pulled the trigger. APPROVED! But the CL is only a measly $500. No problem. I can grow that, and it's still a lot better than a declined, right? What would you all recommend to make that CL grow quickest? And should I stop now that I have two cards? The plan is to garden for a year, and then apply for the AMEX card next May.

Congrats! Freedom is one of my favorites and I use it a ton. You'll love it. I think you made the right call passing on the Arrival with the CLs you got since it has a $5K CL minimum. Unless you find something you like I would wait and let these 2 grow. Chase will require HPs to increase CL but Barclays is very good with auto CLIs. Get these to a year and Amex will definitely be in your sights.

If you do find a card you like you could try applying now if you're going to garden for a year anyway. INQs don't factor into FICO scoring after 12 months so it'll make no difference when you're ready to come out of the garden next year. Pros: it'll add more positive history. Cons: your history is weaker now than it will be once you grow with Chase and Barclays so you won't get as high of a CL or as low of an APR as you would if you waited. Also sometimes with very low limits these cards can get stuck like that if they're flagged in the system as ineligible for CLI. Completely your call for what you want to do but now you have the information.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 12 of 17
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

VERY NICE!!!  If you don't mind sharing, what CRA did they pull from and did you have any negative info on your report?  Thanks

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 13 of 17
CharityV

Thanks everyone! I think I will just stick with the cards I have and let them grow for now. In a year when I plan to apply for the AMEX, I can always apply for one more card at the same time if I decide to. 

Virtual - I think they pulled TU, or at least one of them did, because CreditKarma sent me a notice this morning about a hard inquiry. No notices yet from MyFico, so maybe they didn't pull Eq. As for baddies, it's interesting. I did have two CA deleted about a week ago from both of our reports, but SW has only reported them deleted from mine on Eq. When I pulled TU yesterday before applying, they were still on mine, and I assume they are still on the DH's as well. DH also has a paid CO appearing on his from about 2 years ago, but it does not appear on mine. However, Barclay's approved him for $1500, and me for only $1300. His income is more than mine, which may have been a factor. 

Starting Scores (4/1/2014): Mine 654 Ex/639 Eq/ 641 TU DH 650 Eq
4/25/14: Mine 654 Ex/734 Eq/ 641 TU DH 720 Eq

Gardening until April 30th, 2015 - Mouse over card for limit.

Message 14 of 17
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Thank you for the info.  Helps me decide my next move soon.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 15 of 17
ethan17debttackler
Regular Contributor

OP, congrats on both cards and thanks for sharing...as some of us may be in a similar boat.

>

Message 16 of 17
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@CharityV wrote:

I couldn't bring myself to try for the Arrival, even though the pre-approval link gave me the congratulations message for it. I just don't think I would have been approved, all of my research indicated it required excellent credit. Anyway, I DID apply for the Barclay Rewards card - and was instantly approved! $1300 limit.

You guys, this is the first cc I have had on my own in something like....over a decade! When I was young I really screwed up my credit. I've been an AU on the DH's card since we got married, but that's it! It was kind of an empowering moment to see that approval come through. Smiley Happy Anyway, um question is - what now?? Should I apply for something else while the HP is fresh? People seem to do this in groups, and I know 1 cc is not enough for a solid portfolio. And if I do apply for something else, what should it be? I don't want to put a bunch of HP on my CRs if I can help it, so I want to be really careful and considered about how I proceed. So, what next? Help a girl out!

Congrats on your approval Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.