cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want a one more card before the new year and garden. Discover Secured or My credit union secured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want a one more card before the new year and garden. Discover Secured or My credit union secured?

Which should I go for? Both require a deposit it seems.

My credit card file is pretty thin. Have 16 INQ around 660 score.

Now I've been with my credit union (meriwest) for three years now. I tried applying for an unsecured visa in the branch but was denied. The teller recommended I get the secured.

Now discover is a card I actually want. I don't need it. But want it in my lineup.

If you had the choice of getting a card from discover or a credit union. Which would be the best choice?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: I want a one more card before the new year and garden. Discover Secured or My credit union secur

The choice would depend on what each card offered and your goals. The secured Discover will be a cashback, doubled in the first year card. Does the credit union card offer any benefits to you? And does the CU card graduate? The Discover usually will grduate around seven months, if your profile supports it.  

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want a one more card before the new year and garden. Discover Secured or My credit union secur

Oh I just read the stuff for the secured visa from my credit union. $35 annual fee. Guess discover is the one to get.
Message 3 of 9
arenglish
New Contributor

Good luck with the app! I had the Discover Secured and it unsecured just a couple of days after my 7th statement with a small CLI to boot.

10/19 TU:785; EX:752; EQ:728
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If you had the choice of getting a card from discover or a credit union. Which would be the best choice?

That answer is easy.  Get both.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get Discover, many times they unsecure after 7 months. You've been with the CU for 3 years and they won't give you an unsecured card, not to mention an annual fee for the secured card.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on the Discover

Have you checked if your pre-qualified for a regular Discover card? Or even a Capital One unsecured card? It's done with a SP
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would get Discover, many times they unsecure after 7 months. You've been with the CU for 3 years and they won't give you an unsecured card, not to mention an annual fee for the secured card.

Amen! And switch CU's while you're at it. Show them you mean business.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a third option, don't app at all, let some of that 16 inquiries get beyond the 1 year mark and new accounts age a little. Armed with a 700+ FICO, then app for the Discover IT unsecured with a decent SL & APR. When it comes to credit, patience often is the key.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.