Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to apply...but where?

tag
ambivalent
Established Contributor

I want to apply...but where?

Hi Ficoers!

So here is my situation.... I want to go on a mini app spree, maybe 2-3 cards, and would like some advice on where to apply.  I am not sure where my scores are officially, but according to USAA CMS are down to 630/640 but TU is still at 677.  My Lowe's account just reported and it's maxed this month (had to get carpet Smiley Mad )

Cards reporting bal: NFCU1: 3775 NFCU 2 1575  Cap1 19.95  Cap1 0.  I now have balances on my NFCU 2 card of almost $7K which will report at the end of the month. 

So I guess where would I have a decent shot OR should I try to get increases on my Cap 1 and NFCU cards?  I contacted Cap1 on FB and never heard from anyone!  TY!!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want to apply...but where?

I know this isn't what you want to hear but before applying for more cards I'd work on paying down the balances on your existing cards.  When you do you will see your scores rise as utilization is a big factor in determining credit scores.

Message 2 of 8
MT936
Established Contributor

I would definitely work on paying down those balances so youre at least under 10% utilization before applying. Your high utilization is a huge negative  factor in getting approved.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 8
ambivalent
Established Contributor

It's more for utilization than use.  I do know I need to work on paying them down, I just want a little more wiggle room on the util side and wanted to try before everything hit..  Funny... Cap1 EO is just now calling me.  I'll just wait I suppose.  Thank you all for the advice!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@prettylady wrote:

It's more for utilization than use.  I do know I need to work on paying them down, I just want a little more wiggle room on the util side and wanted to try before everything hit..  Funny... Cap1 EO is just now calling me.  I'll just wait I suppose.  Thank you all for the advice!

Do what everybody else is and get on Lowes chat and tell them you need an increase so the card's not reporting maxed. Maxed out cards are a killer when you're apping.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@prettylady wrote:

Do what everybody else is and get on Lowes chat and tell them you need an increase so the card's not reporting maxed. Maxed out cards are a killer when you're apping.

+1

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@prettylady wrote:

Tell them you have some more stuff to buy for your house and you would like a higher CL.

Message 7 of 8
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'll go the chat route! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.