cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would love a gas card. Point me towards one!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love a gas card. Point me towards one!

I would love a gas card. It would not only help me rebuild but help manage my gas expenses as well. The problem is my scores are still lousy while I'm rebuilding. I also have a Chevron charge off I didn't pay years ago that has fallen off my CR (I was in college and money-stupid). So they are probably not an option.  Are there any gas cards I can get with my lousy scores? The APR does not matter because I will pay in full each month. Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I would love a gas card. Point me towards one!

You might look at PenFed CU for the Platinum Rewards Visa card.

4% back on gas and 2.5% back on groceries.

5 points and 3 points respectively for redemption in their rewards system.

They are a conservative Credit Union however, so even if you do get approved for membership, you may not qualify for the card since its a minimum 5k CL, and a Visa Signature.

If you do qualify, it would be quite the Coo.

If you dont, you can always build a relationship with them and apply for their Promise card, which is an excellent starter card.

Message 2 of 24
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

not to be rude but with your scores i would suggest a quicksilver one

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@juggalo9er wrote:

not to be rude but with your scores i would suggest a quicksilver one

I was going to suggest a Sallie Mae and then I saw the scores...You're spot on with the QS.

Message 4 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I agree with everyone else. CapOne is probably your best bet with those scores at the moment.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I've been giving thought to QS1.  I guess I will use it strictly for gas.  Since it has rewards, it makes a great card for my scores.

Message 6 of 24
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I've been giving thought to QS1.  I guess I will use it strictly for gas.  Since it has rewards, it makes a great card for my scores.

its a decent all around card! apply and if approved cell their executive office and have the af waived and get a cli...i bet you are approved for 500

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a common misconception that Gas cards are easy to get like any other store card.

For some reason, they seem to be much stingier than Capital One and most store cards.  

I got denied several times in my early rebuilding racking up HP's trying to get a "gas card".  

Don't do it, they are pretty much out of reach with sub 620 scores.  I didn't get my first "gas card" until I breached 640.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Fuel Rewards and try and get the popup from Comenity.  I have that card.  It's a soft pull and works with many Shell stations.  At one point I have 75 cents off per gallon.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.