Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX 2/90 day Rule strict???????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is AMEX 2/90 day Rule strict???????

I just so happen to check my amex account as I am currently on day 60 of 61 to get a 3X CLI. I was looking around and when i click "apply now" on a few cards that I have my eyes set on, it says I am pre-approved. However i recently got an SPG on 1/1/18 and a Hilton Aspire on 1/19/18. According to my calculations I'm at 79 days. Are they strict on the 2/90 rule, or do you think my chances are good if I am pre-approved? I would love to get some minimum spend in for a SUB since I have some decent spend coming up.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is AMEX 2/90 day Rule strict???????

Only one way to find out.  If you app and are denied it will only be a soft pull.

Message 2 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Since you are already a card member, log in and go to your recommended cards. If it says “your pre approved” then you got a pretty solid chance. If it says, “expanding your membership” languages then it’s a no go. Even if your defined, it’s a SP this way.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

It is a hard rule.  I've tested it before and they don't even process the app.  Wait until the 90 days are up.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s what I thought too, but the CSR that I had a chat with online said that wasn’t a thing. Which is why I posed this question to the great minds here. He was very helpful determining my 60 days to request CLI, but I’m waiting until 61. Unless he was setting me up for failure. 🤔
Message 5 of 12
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99wrote:

It is a hard rule.  I've tested it before and they don't even process the app.  Wait until the 90 days are up.

Same thing happened to me when I was trying to get the Delta. I had to wait the full 90 days.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegalwrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

Same thing happened to me when I was trying to get the Delta. I had to wait the full 90 days.

Tried to get the Delta Gold as the 3rd Amex in 90 days, says pre-approved but then denied. However right now the delta gold card isn't showing up at all at my Amex credit card offers website, is this normal?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ironically I’m wanting to get the delta platinum. It doesn’t show up on my offers eeither, but when I click on Apply now when I’m signed in, it says pre approved. If I click on another card it says something like it’s easy to expand your membership. Even if it doesn’t show up on your main offers page u can check any card.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, its normal.  The Amex website will frequently remove cards from view if they think you aren't eligible for them.  Since you were denied for the Delta Gold it probably will not return to your view until some time has elapsed.

A simple way to check is to open a browser window in Incognito Mode and go to the Amex website.  If you click on "See All Cards" without logging in you should see a listing of 18 personal credit and charge cards.  Now open another browser window in normal mode and login at the Amex website, click on Menu > Cards > View All Cards and you'll likely see 17 or less cards displayed.

@Anonymouswrote:

@shoegalwrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

Tried to get the Delta Gold as the 3rd Amex in 90 days, says pre-approved but then denied. However right now the delta gold card isn't showing up at all at my Amex credit card offers website, is this normal?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, its normal.  The Amex website will temporarily remove cards from your view if its determined you are not currently eligible for them.

A simple way to test this is to open a new browser window in Incognito Mode, go to the Amex website, and without signing it click on "See All Cards."  You will see a listing of all 18 personal credit and charge cards offered by Amex.  Now open a normal browser window, go to the Amex website and sign in to your account.  Click on Menu > Cards > View All Cards and you will probably see 17 or less cards displayed.

Here's a side-by-side illustration.  On the left I'm logged in to my account in a normal browser window, and on the right I'm viewing the Amex website in an Incognito window.  As you can see, I'm only shown 17 cards when logged in to my account.  The card not shown is the Amex Green charge card; and its most likely because I opened a PRG on 12/28/17 (less than 90 days ago) so I'm not currently eligible to apply for another charge card until the end of the month.

amex_comp.jpg

@Anonymouswrote:

@shoegalwrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.