Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover Worth It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Discover Worth It?

Hey everyone, I've just recently found out Discover took away the Rental Car Protection on their cards, should I still attempt to go for one?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Discover Worth It?

They’ve been great for me! I was at mid 500’s, got their secured card and now I’m at 616. Also, can’t go wrong with the cash back and the match after the 1st year. I’ve already earned $15 in my first two months.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most cards offer some kind of rental car protection. It wasn't primary anyway so I wouldn't sweat it personally.

Basically if you want the It for the 5% categories an double cash back in year 1 then I wouldn't sweat the rest much assuming you have another card with well rounded protections. Essentially just don't count on the Discover for those protections that were nixed.
Message 3 of 18
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Disco is great in my experience: decent limits, great service, bt offers, quarterly cash back catagories and hit/miss cli's.  The one cc that you can use for cash back (like a debit transaction) at Wally World or grocery stores.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 4 of 18
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

This spot reserved for AJCs response

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% categories and great service. Double everything first year. The first year disco is more than worth it, and then you decide what you want to do with it since no annual fee so no real worries then.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% categories is still good to go. Even if you cash out cash back reward, I think it is still worth. If you really need rental car insurance, apply other or use along with discover credit card.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Discover IT so much that I went out and got a second card earlier this month. Smiley Tongue Jokes aside, it's a nice card especially if you make use of their quarterly 5% cash back periods, and the first year's Cash Back Match is nothing to sneeze at either, particularly since you can use the rewards on Amazon. They can be frustratingly opaque to figure out, though, when it comes to CLI's; they're so all over the map on that that people have talked about cardholders being on 30-, 60- or 90-day "trains". I will admit that one reason I got the new card was that I was tired of the smallish CLI's I'd been getting at lengthy periods, probably because I got that card when my TU was in the 620's, and I wanted to see if I'd have any better luck now that my scores have improved significantly (I got a $5K SL with the new card as opposed to $2.5K for the old card, so that's a good sign).

Message 8 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol MeanMachineSmiley Happy

Yeah id say Disco is worth it for many of the reasons outlined above. To be honest, i think many of us never even thought to use Disco for those features being taken away so really no big deal. Its like having a Visa and Visa siggy, most of us dont use those extra features but if we did most of us have more than 1 credit card so getting it elsewhere is not a problem.

Also, how many other cc's let you carry multiple design colors at once and be able to use them . I had Spruce and Island my first go around, have Gold now but may add a mixtape and burgundy too. She looks amazing in gold, didnt you know she can be a golddigger? Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 18
arkane
Established Contributor

Hard to say OP, for some people it's worth It, others Miles is worth more. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.