cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover worth the HP and the new account ?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Is Discover worth the HP and the new account ?

Discover is one of my favorite cards. They have literally never given me a problem, and any issue you have is easily resolved - customer service has always been outstanding via phone and chat. The cashback is very good, The categories are always useful at least to me. Also, their categories are less restrictive than Freedom's. For example, Discover tends to just do "home improvement stores" vs just Lowe's with the Freedom, and things like that. Their shopping portal is very good, I recently got a great deal with them with 10% cashback on Kohls; and then I had a coupon from Kohl's themselves so the deal was 35% off altogether!

Nothing negative to say; go for it!

Message 21 of 43
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Even more at some places. I just used my Discover to get 15% CB from PetSmart.

Discover is not my everyday card any more but I do peruse the site for cashback deals.

May I ask how you get 15% CB from PetSmart?

Through Shop Discover.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 22 of 43
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover wants to be your girl Friday. She isn't afraid of those new on the credit scene who are a little thin but immaculately clean. She wants to sit up front in your wallet but will not fight for your affection. (Not aggressive high clis) Though she does know of some good times (deals) She is also fluent in american English when you need her help. Alas she wants to be in it for the long haul before showing some luving . She wants to appear early in your credit life and tends to spoil newer suitors and does not perform well under pressure (not matching or raising CLI to compete with other cards) or a crowd.. But she's very reliable and stable. A good steady girl.

Message 23 of 43
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I would say absolutely. I've had mine since August 2013, and I have nothing but good things to say about Discover so far. They have granted me 2 HP CLIs since I opened too (original CL $1000, up to $2750 after 2 HPs.) This is fairly middle of the road compared to my other CLs.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 24 of 43
BUN
Established Contributor

We used it for the 18 month 0% balance transfer ability. It is great having the free credit score,and the website is easy to navigate. It now comes with an EMV chip which is convenient for overseas travel! Smiley Happy I think it's a great card! They started us off with 10K, and after 6 months we got a 4K increase!

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 25 of 43
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont know what to think about this CCC . I come here and people talk about it like its a really good lender . Go to any other credit fourm and people talk about discover like its the devil . The reason Im asking is because I got an offer for the Discover It card .

I've done a review of my Discover card experience here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-Discover/m-p/3446875#M954309

I got an SP CLI from $7k to $8.5k 2 days ago. I also got their chip card yesterday in the mail.

Edit: From the cons, #3, #4, and #5 are no longer valid. So you see, many pros, not so many cons.

Message 26 of 43
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Go for it!  I love my card for the free Fico, excellent customer service, no FTF and get quite a lot of cash back from ShopDiscover.  The only negative I found is the acceptance outside the US and the starting limit.  For the limit I just kept patiently waiting and trying to CLI (SP only for me) and now after two years the card is inline with my other cards. So definitely a card that will grow with you if you use it.  This card will be a keeper on the long term Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really like it and am always reaching past my other cards to grab it for use. The web site is a pleasure to navigate, the CS has been outstanding for me to date. I agree with others about stingy CLI, but overall it's been a solid card for me otherwise.

Message 28 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously , thank you all for sharing your experiences . Im gonna go for it but I have one more question . Would it make any difference if I applied through one of the sign up bonus links instead of using the invitation number ? I know Discover sends invitations to everyone but this one is legit , it has a specific APR . 

Message 29 of 43
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont know what to think about this CCC . I come here and people talk about it like its a really good lender . Go to any other credit fourm and people talk about discover like its the devil . The reason Im asking is because I got an offer for the Discover It card .

I have a Discover account that I've had for 15 years. It's been there.

I do enjoy their quarterly bonus categories, and 1% isn't horrible on their "IT" card. The cash back at the register is nice too.

Their marketing does make it seem like they want to be #1 in my wallet, but they're not. If it's not a quarterly bonus category, or a chance for a supermarket cash back, then I pull out another card - one whose category bonus matches the purchase, or one of the 1.5% cards - NFCU or Capital One.  (to those who ask why not the "2%" FIA Amex or Citi DC, I've held off on applying for those until I have everything else lined up)

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.