cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover worth the HP and the new account ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Discover worth the HP and the new account ?

So I applied today and got the "call us we need to verify some info message" . Il have to wait till tomorrow because their closed today . 

Message 31 of 43
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied today and got the "call us we need to verify some info message" . Il have to wait till tomorrow because their closed today . 

Good luck, it sounds like you're in after you call to me.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like an idiot , I was so nervous I mistyped my SSN . It's similar to my phone number so sometimes I mix a couple numbers . I had to upload pics of my SS card , passport and utility bill . Hopefully that'll do the trick .
Message 33 of 43
nyancat
Established Contributor

Positives:

No foreign transaction fee

Excellent acceptance in China, IFF you can convince merchants to run it as UnionPay

Generally no Dynamic Currency Conversion support (though, unlike Amex, I do not believe Discover bans DCC)

Negatives:

My experiences with customer service have included a couple quite poor ones, and one absolutely nightmareish one

Rewards are in the form of cash credits, not airline miles (non-transferrable) which dramatically lowers their value

Poor acceptance in most of the world (though highly dependent on region - great in the US, awful in Canada, great in China/Japan, mediocre but improving in Europe, etc).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover has a place in my wallet during certain months of the year. Shop Discover is a useful portal and the 5% categories are useful. I'd rather use the Freedom when the 5% categories overlap due to my UR point preference due to my tendency of getting 2-3 cents of average redemption value per UR point. However, Discover does have some benefits over the Freedom. First, it has no FTF. Second, it has increased acceptance in China. Third, even in Europe it has reasonable acceptance (anywhere Diner's Club is accepted though most vendors don't know this). Fourth, it has better customer service than Chase (my experience). Finally, Shop Discover sometimes has some pretty awesome cash back deals. 

Your initial limit might be low with Discover if your profile has red flags (Discover seems to use a slightly different CL formula than other banks), but over time you can easily get a good limit if you have a strong established credit history. 

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

The non transferability of the points may be a pain in the butt, however for when you do need some breathing room or just want to pay a little extra, at least their statement credits are 1cpp, which is more than I can say for AMEX MR.
Message 36 of 43
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The non transferability of the points may be a pain in the butt, however for when you do need some breathing room or just want to pay a little extra, at least their statement credits are 1cpp, which is more than I can say for AMEX MR.

What points. Mine is cash. Smiley Surprised

Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Also, it gives you access to the Shop Discover online shopping portal, which saves you at least 5% at many popular merchants.

Even more at some places. I just used my Discover to get 15% CB from PetSmart.

Discover is not my everyday card any more but I do peruse the site for cashback deals.

Hmm ... you and LongTimeLurker found Discover to be useful at Petsmart Smiley Happy Hmm ... good food?

Message 38 of 43
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the same message... just called and answered 1 question about my CR and was approved for $1500.

Couldn't be happier to be in the door with Discover.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 39 of 43
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Like an idiot , I was so nervous I mistyped my SSN . It's similar to my phone number so sometimes I mix a couple numbers . I had to upload pics of my SS card , passport and utility bill . Hopefully that'll do the trick .

Yep, sounds like you're probably in. Will be crossing fingers for you and waiting for your report on the results.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.