Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Chase Freedom cli worth the hp?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is a Chase Freedom cli worth the hp?

I've read on the forum that Chase is horrible when it comes to cli's. I've read that auto cli's are virtually none existent. Is it worth the hp? I've got 10 now so I'd hate to waste one and only get a minuscule increase or worse, be denied. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Is a Chase Freedom cli worth the hp?

Just my opinion, I'd find another card they offer that is useful. You can always shuffle limits around when needed.
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would would probably be better off by just applying for a new card and moving limits over. Even if you are beyond 5/24, there are several cobranded cards which are not under this restriction (Chase Amazon comes to mind, there are others as well), and from what I understand, it is just as easy to transfer over limits from those cards to your freedom.

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with what the others have said.  Scooping up another card would give you several times more (at least) than any CLI you'd get from the HP.  If you choose one of their higher SL cards like the CSP or CSR you should get plenty enough in terms of a SL to slide what you need over to the card you really want.  Then you could at some point consider a PC downgrade to one of the other Chase cards that has no AF that you may find useful.

Message 4 of 27
Journeygod
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've read on the forum that Chase is horrible when it comes to cli's. I've read that auto cli's are virtually none existent. Is it worth the hp? I've got 10 now so I'd hate to waste one and only get a minuscule increase or worse, be denied. Thoughts?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Hell no

Chase sucks, period. The only cards worth applying for are their co-branded cards.

Rule of thumb: NEVER apply for a CLI with a hardpull. If it ain't soft, I don't want it.

Save hardpulls for new apps. They're too valuable.

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to go from 2k to 7k after about 11months of conservative usage.....Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 27
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase sucks, period. The only cards worth applying for are their co-branded cards.

Rule of thumb: NEVER apply for a CLI with a hardpull. If it ain't soft, I don't want it.

With all due respect I disagree with this highlighted statement for two reasons, #1 hard pulls are no big deal, they last 1 year as far as scoring and once you get over 5 or 6 there is no additional score penalty which is minor anyway. #2: if I can get a $5k to $10k+ CLI and have to "suffer" a hard pull, thats well worth it IMO. 

I recently added $15k to my two BoA cards (HP), as far as Chase, my Freedom Unlimited went from $2k to $10k with a HP last year. I have a lot of HP's on all three CRA's (20+ on each) and it doesn't stop me from getting new cards (example last month joined NFCU with a GoRewards Visa $23,500 SL) or credit limit increases.

As far as the question the OP asked I have a Freedom Unlimited which started out as a basic Freedom and I used a HP to go from $2k to $10k as I stated above, that said it's a higher APR card that I use very little because I have other cards that offer better rewards and lower APR's even those I usually PIF and always PIF with the Freedom Unlimited card. I'd suggest if you are going to use a HP on Chase you app for the AARP card - cash sign up spend-bonus, better rewards and changes are a decent SL. 

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With all due respect I disagree with this highlighted statement for two reasons, #1 hard pulls are no big deal, they last 1 year as far as scoring and once you get over 5 or 6 there is no additional score penalty which is minor anyway. #2: if I can get a $5k to $10k+ CLI and have to "suffer" a hard pull, thats well worth it IMO. 

I recently added $15k to my two BoA cards (HP), as far as Chase, my Freedom Unlimited went from $2k to $10k with a HP last year. I have a lot of HP's on all three CRA's (20+ on each) and it doesn't stop me from getting new cards (example last month joined NFCU with a GoRewards Visa $23,500 SL) or credit limit increases.

As far as the question the OP asked I have a Freedom Unlimited which started out as a basic Freedom and I used a HP to go from $2k to $10k as I stated above, that said it's a higher APR card that I use very little because I have other cards that offer better rewards and lower APR's even those I usually PIF and always PIF with the Freedom Unlimited card. I'd suggest if you are going to use a HP on Chase you app for the AARP card - cash sign up spend-bonus, better rewards and changes are a decent SL. 

I think your rule of thumb makes a lot of sense!

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This rule of thumb will have you stuck at your SL because auto increases are few and far between....just my 2 cents....Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This rule of thumb will have you stuck at your SL because auto increases are few and far between....just my 2 cents....Smiley Happy

I don't disagree, but while I'm sitting at close to double-digit inquires, it doesn't make sense to risk it now.  Can you imagine adding another inquiry and then getting the cli denied because of too many inquires!?! Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.